About Thompson Island Outward Bound
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center (TIOBEC) is a charter of Outward Bound USA, the international leader in character development education. Outward Bound Schools all across the world are united behind a central guiding philosophy: through challenge, we learn what we are truly capable of.
At the forefront of integrating character development with academics, TIOBEC uses experiential, place-based learning on an island in the Boston Harbor to inspire leadership, collaboration and resilience in Boston’s young people; TIOBEC provides opportunities for young people to overcome challenges in a controlled environment, allowing them to leave with a newfound confidence in their own abilities to face challenges in their lives back at home.
YOUTH PROGRAM FACILITATOR
Start Date: April 2nd, 2018
Youth Program Facilitators work with Boston youth to provide hands-on learning opportunities designed to promote character development and academic achievement. Working primarily with students from the Boston Public Schools, but also local universities and youth groups, Facilitators run courses Monday-Friday, lasting in length from one day to three days in length, with overnights. Some specific responsibilities include:
- Lead youth through an intentional sequence of games, initiative sand high and low challenge course elements
- Promote leadership development, teamwork and effective communication through group processing and reflection
- Teach Field-based science lessons in the outdoors, designed to align with Boston Public School science curriculum
- Mentor, coach and support young people, while inspiring an interest in STEM education
Who is the ideal applicant?
We are looking for staff to join a diverse community of individuals who are passionate about making a difference in the lives of Boston’s Youth. Our staff are committed to Outward Bound’s philosophy of promoting growth and learning through challenge.
Employment Details for all positions:
- Housing is provided if needed. You may choose to live in the island's dormitory, or you may commute to and from Boston via a twice-daily ferry. Thompson Island is located about 4 miles from Boston.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position to email@example.com