Location: Boston, MA
Summary Description: The Youth Opportunities Program (YOP) is an outdoor education, professional development and social justice program of the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC). We partner with and support organizations and schools in urban and under-resourced communities that historically have faced barriers to outdoor recreation.
YOP makes the outdoors accessible to more than 30,000 youth each year. We accomplish this by providing training and support to hundreds of youth workers and teachers throughout the Northeast that independently lead youth groups on outdoor trips. YOP prioritizes the participation of organizations serving youth groups living in urban and lower income communities, and our continuum of services includes outdoor leadership trainings, free equipment loans, trip planning assistance, professional development, reduced lodging rates at AMC destinations and co-led youth adventures. This unique model enables our YOP-trained partners to use the outdoors to meet their youth development goals.The YOP Manager of Training and Support, New England is a key leadership position that guides the successful implementation of quality, safe and substantive Outdoor Leadership Trainings and professional development workshops for teachers and youth development professionals. This “hybrid” field and office-based position requires reports to the YOP Director and directly supervises 2 full-time program coordinators.
- Outdoor Leadership Trainings and Workshops: Develop, organize and lead Outdoor Leadership Trainings and Workshops for professional youth workers and teachers. Manage all online trainings-related information, including registrations and payments.
- Outreach and Retention: Work with Operations Manager to create and implement outreach strategy and communication plan for engaging program participants. Recruit agency/school-based youth workers and teachers for the YOP Outdoor Leadership Training, the gateway into the program.
- Volunteers: Oversee the recruitment, management and retention of the YOP volunteer community. Develop and support volunteer instructors and ensure instructors’ skills are up to date and appropriate for assigned workshops. Recruit volunteers to support workshop logistics. Work with Boston and NY/NJ Managers to plan annual instructor training.
- Materials: Work with Operations Manager to systematize and develop curriculum and training materials. Collaborate with NY/NJ and Operations Managers on development and marketing of annual trainings and offerings.
- Trip Planning: Manage Boston efforts to provide trip-planning support to YOP Members. Assist YOP Members in planning successful trips through ideas, materials and other support.
- Risk Management: Implement AMC and YOP risk management procedures in all trainings, trips and workshops. Organize on-call coverage and ensure logistical and emergency support for trainings and trips in the field.
- Data Management, Evaluation and Reporting: Oversee the collection and reporting of workshop and training-related statistics and feedback. Compile year-end report. Assist with grant reporting and management of ETO (Efforts to Outcomes) database.
- Supervision: Oversee and support work of the YOP Logistics and Trip Support Coordinator and the YOP Program Coordinator as part of the Training and Support team.
- Communications: Work with Operations Manager on setting trainings and workshops calendar, updating website and producing outreach, fundraising and public relations materials.
- Collaborate: Work in partnership with all YOP staff in program planning and delivery. Work closely with NYC staff to coordinate and collaborate on ideas for growth and improvement. Work with other AMC staff on various committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- 3+ years in education or related fields, with background in experiential education, youth development, outdoor adventure-based recreation and/or leadership.
- At least 2 years’ experience in program administration, with 3 years facilitating outdoor leadership and related activities.
- Understanding and belief in the mission of YOP
- Experience leading outdoor trips. Strong camping, backpacking, hiking and canoeing skills are a must.
- Experience with and interest in conducting community outreach and cultivating partnerships. Greater Boston area experience a plus.
- Experience and interest in working with groups representing diverse socio-economic, racial and cultural backgrounds, as well as a variety of age groups, including youth, adults, volunteers and staff.
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills. Public speaking and/or teaching experience a must.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to hike and camp in mountain terrain carrying a 40-50 pound pack, in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 65 pounds from ground to waist high.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability and experience driving a 12-passenger van. Willingness to comply with MA DOT driver guidelines and expectations. The AMC requires all employees who drive an AMC vehicle to have a driving record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
- Strong computer and writing skills.
- Must be flexible and able to work weekends and evenings.
- Wilderness First Aid Certification required (AMC can provide and can obtained at start of employment). Wilderness First Responder preferred.
To Apply: Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!