Christodora: Nature, Learning, Leadership since 1897 is seeking a seasoned outdoor leader to work as a Wilderness Program Supervisor to work at its Manice Education Center located in the heart of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. This is an exciting opportunity to oversee 20 backpacking and canoeing expeditions in Southern New England for Summer 2018. Enjoy living and working in a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers to experience a pristine wilderness playground, alongside music, arts, and festivities in nearby college towns.
operates seasonal programs for junior and senior high school youth from New York City in environmental education, wilderness expeditions, and leadership training from May through October. The Center is located on a 200 acre forested campus, surrounded by thousands of acres in abutting Savoy Mountain State Forest, boasting mountain streams, rivers, ponds and diverse wildlife including moose!
Join our Diverse Team: May 29th through August 26, 2018
· Position starts 2 wks. before summer staff arrive to prepare for training programs and successful delivery of the summer wilderness excursions.
The Wilderness Program Supervisor (WPS) ensures fun and safe wilderness adventure programming for junior and senior high school students from New York City, working to sequentially tailor expeditions by age, maturity, and ability. Backpacking and canoeing trips range from 2-5 days in length along the Appalachian Trail, Long Trail, Mahican-Mohawk Trail, Deerfield River, Connecticut River, Battenkill River, and protected State and USFS wilderness areas in Southern New England. The WPS will:
· Review existing trip itineraries, update risk management planning, scout trails and rivers for changes in conditions, renew and attain required land-use permits, and develop new trips as needed.
· Continue to foster and maintain strong working relationships with land-owners and partners who contribute to the success of our wilderness trips.
· Review and continue to improve the existing training program to effectively prepare a range of first-year to seasoned outdoor leaders.
· Provide positive mentorship and lead a feedback-oriented culture that focuses on growth, support, and goal accountability for outdoor leaders.
· Provide ongoing support for wilderness trips and Center activities by being on-call for emergencies and trip support, being in charge of camp in the absence of the Director/Assistant Director, and help to manage the Center infirmary.
· Oversee the equipment room, which is operated by the Logistics Coordinator and 4 Wilderness Trip Assistants who are high school students who previously participated in Christodora programs.
· Transport students to and from wilderness trips and occasionally assist with participants traveling to and from New York City.
· Provide regular updates to the Director/Assistant Director about the status and needs of the Wilderness Trip Program and provide administrative support for Center programs.
· Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
· Experience as an outdoor leader for backpacking and canoeing expeditions in a wilderness context with youth.
· Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Waterfront Lifeguard Certification or ability to obtain.
(Wilderness First Aid, CPR, and Waterfront Lifeguarding courses are provided at the Center in June)
· HS Diploma/GED and Valid Drivers License
· Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.Preferred:
· BA/BS (or pursuing) in outdoor leadership, adventure recreation, or related discipline.
· Outdoor leadership and/or wilderness navigation certifications.
· Wilderness First Responder Certification.
· Competitive weekly salary; lodging & basic amenities; excellent food service.
· Access to wilderness equipment, and outdoor equipment discounts.
Enjoy living in a unique outdoor setting, and be a part of a 121-year-old tradition of developing a constructive, supportive community through hard work, play, and dedication to our mission.
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.