The Manice Education Center (MEC), located in the heart of the Berkshire Mountains in Western Massachusetts. MEC operates experientially focused and high-quality environmental education, wilderness camping, and leadership programs from May through October, in a unique outdoor setting with a staff to student ratio averaging 1:6.
MEC Summer Session: May 29th through August 26, 2018
- Position starts 2 wks. before summer staff arrive to prepare for training programs and successful delivery of the summer wilderness excursions.
The Wilderness Program Supervisor (WPS) will be responsible for effectively supervising all aspects of a safe and educational delivery of the wilderness adventure programming at MEC for each of the summer sessions offered to junior and senior high school students from New York City. The wilderness expeditions are sequentially tailored by age, maturity, and ability.
- Managing the Wilderness Trip Program (WTP). The Logistics Coordinator (LC) will report directly to the WPS, and up to five Wilderness Trip Assistants will report to the LC. Wilderness Trip Assistants are high school aged program alumni who will assist in the coordination of all pre-trip preparations, post trip logistics, and attend the wilderness trips along with the Outdoor Educators and Educator Assistants.
- Primary responsibility of the WPS is to develop all trip itineraries, including risk management planning, for 1-5 day backpacking and canoeing trips in the Western MA, Eastern NY, and Southern VT regions and submit to the Director for final acknowledgement before trip departures.
- Secure necessary backcountry permitting and scouting reports for all scheduled trips.
- Assist in transportation to and from wilderness trips and camper transportation to and from New York City.
- Report weekly to the Director regarding trip effectiveness, outcomes, and overall efficiency of the WTP. Provide administrative support for summer programs.
- Assist in development and delivery of training programs to provide competency acknowledgement for necessary hard and soft skills educators will utilize in the field.
- Provide field based program leadership by visiting or leading wilderness trips as necessary.
- Provide consistent program support through: on-call availability and response during trips, supervisory responsibilities of the Center’s daily programming, serving as an
- interim outdoor educator as needed, assist in coordinating Center wide activities and field trips,
- Direct mentorship and leadership of student employees, staff, and program participants.
- Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
- Prior experience in backpacking and/or canoeing in the wilderness with youth. Outdoor leadership and/or wilderness navigation certifications a plus.
- Experience supervising all aspects of overnight wilderness trip logistics.
- Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Waterfront Lifeguard Certification. Wilderness First Responder Certification Preferred. WFA, CPR, and Lifeguard Certification courses are available in June at MEC.
- Valid Driving License, clean driving records, and ability to pass high occupancy vehicle training provided at MEC.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours and commit the summer to successfully supervising all aspects of MEC’s wilderness program.
- Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
- Competitive seasonally contracted salary, lodging (cabin tents), basic amenities, excellent food service, and outdoor equipment discounts.
- Enjoy living in a unique outdoor setting, and be a part of a one hundred-year tradition of developing a constructive, supportive community through hard work, play, and dedication to our mission.
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.