The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America’s oldest conservation and recreation organization, is now searching for a Wilderness Guide in Maine’s 100-Mile Wilderness region, a multi-sport outdoor destination unlike any other!
The Wilderness Guide is responsible for the year-round creation, support and delivery of facility-based programs, school and educational workshops/activities and private guiding services, with specific attention to risk management and equipment maintenance. The Wilderness Guide is responsible for the quality, safety and organization of assigned program offerings, focusing on environmental education and recreational activities.
The remote setting of the AMC’s Maine Wilderness Lodges requires backcountry skills in all seasons and an enthusiasm for living in and sharing a wilderness environment. This full time, year round position with benefits works in close coordination with all staff at AMC’s Maine Wilderness Lodges.
- Develop and present interpretive programs throughout the day and/or evening. Presentations may include natural/cultural history walks or safety talks surrounding hydration or Leave No Trace principles.
- Lead outdoor recreation or education programs, including but not limited to ½ day to full day and overnight guided adventures in the area in all types of weather, with a diverse range of participants.
- Facilitate and lead multi-day family and adult programs at lodges including assisting with special events and custom guided programs.
- Prepare and teach theme-based and place-based environmental education lessons, preparing students for outdoor experiences and teaching outdoor skills.
- Create and facilitate community building activities and experiences.
- Act as an interpretive resource for staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Provide safe transportation of participants to and from facilities, via company vehicle, as necessary.
- Implement energy conservation and environmentally sound practices in daily operations.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in natural science, recreation or environmental interpretation/education or relevant experience.
- Exceptional customer service skills and outgoing friendly attitude.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in interpretive program delivery, wilderness guiding, hospitality services and/or related activities.
- Ability to hike, paddle, fly fish, ski, snowshoe and instruct others in these activities as required.
- Ability to perform work in a remote camp setting and travel safely in the backcountry in all weather and trail conditions, carrying up to 40 lbs. of gear.
- Commitment to the Conservation-Education-Recreation mission of the AMC.
- Valid Wilderness First Aid certification required (WFR or WEMT preferred).
- Valid Maine driver’s license or the ability to attain within 90 days.
- Ability to use a computer to send and receive email and create Microsoft Word and Excel documents.
- Registration as a Maine Guide or the ability to attain within 90 days.
Employee Perks: In addition to a competitive salary, AMC offers an exceptional benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits.- Health insurance with a hefty employer contribution.
- A retirement plan with an employer match.
- Access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates.
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues throughout New England.
- And more!
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. No phone calls, please.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!