NVW is currently seeking applicants for Full Time and Seasonal Wilderness Instructors at our Medford Wisconsin location. Instructors provide a safe, therapeutic atmosphere in a wilderness context for our groups of struggling teens. Wilderness Instructors are responsible for groups of up to nine students on backpacking, canoeing, and other outdoor expeditions and will work several days straight in the wilderness (typically an 8-day on/6-day off schedule). Instructors are responsible for group structure, supervision, safety, curriculum facilitation, teaching wilderness skills, and will be working hand in hand with NVW therapists who treat our children. Day to day programming responsibilities include: risk management, implementation of program philosophy, student supervision, leadership and responsible decision making, communication, and the overall care and welfare of up to 9 students in a wilderness context.
- Wilderness Field Instructor must be at least 21 years old and possess a BS/BA degree in related field. Candidates working towards a BS/BA can be eligible for seasonal positions and/or internships
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in the adventure or outdoor field with at-risk youth, or comparable experience.
- Excellent leadership, communication and problem solving skills.
- Must possess and maintain current CPR certification (WFR preferred)
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ pounds for extended durations
- Must be able to pass a Background Criminal Investigation.
- Must hold a valid Driver's License with clean driving record.
- Must pass a post-employment offer medical physical