Summer Food Service Manager/Head Cook Position
Echo Hill Outdoor School Summer Explore Program
Echo Hill Outdoor School, Worton Maryland. Nonprofit outdoor environmental education school on the upper Chesapeake Bay seeks self-motivated, organized, creative and energetic person as head cook and food service director for summer program. Programs are primarily semi-wilderness five and three day camping trips that prepare their own food during the trip. Single and multi-day land based programs take place on the school’s main campus with well-equipped dining hall facility (Harris Hall).
Qualifications: Strong desire to be part of a staff community. Candidate must have prior food service experience (healthy cooking skills imperative) for residential groups. Experience with outdoor education and /or food management is beneficial. Logistical and organizational skills are vital. Attention to detail is essential.
- Standard First Aid and Professional Rescuer CPR certifications are requested.
- Criminal Background check required upon employment.
- Candidate must be self-directed, enthusiastic, an effective time manager, able to communicate and work cooperatively with a staff of 25.
- Position is Primarily Monday through Friday, with some weekend days (hours vary weekly).
- Provide family style meals for small residential groups (10 – 25, occasional weekly seatings of 50 – 70 people).
- Plan meals/menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Coordinate with directors and handle all ordering, purchasing and availability of necessary food. (Serving local produce as often as possible is a priority.)
- Oversee menu planning and food packing for 3 and 5 day camping trips.
- Prepare meals, serve, properly store and thoroughly clean up after mealtime.
- Supervise and orient various program staff as they rotate into kitchen assistant role.
- Maintain safe food handling standards during preparation and storage.
- Maintain cleanliness of kitchen areas (counters, floors, walk-in, freezer, dry storage, floors, trash and recycling. Supervise others in this process).
Contract Dates and Benefits: Personal Interview Required.
Flexible start and end dates: June 1-9 through August 20-30, 2017. Ten to twelve week full time position.
Weekly pay varies, $400-$600.00 based on qualifications, experience and program demands.
Shared housing with program staff is an option (room and board.)
Staff medical reimbursement plan is available.
To Apply: Send resume and three reference contacts to:
Echo Hill Outdoor School
13655 Bloomingneck Rd.
Worton, MD 21678