Duration: Three MonthsStart Date: June 2018 (Exact Dates TBD) End Date: August 2018 (Exact Dates TBD) Job Details:As a member of our summer staff, instructors facilitate week long outdoor adventure Day Camps, Residential Camps & Traveling Overnights for youth (8-14). Instructor teams facilitate a new adventure pursuit each day and lead groups of 14 participants as they explore a variety of outdoor recreation sites in Northern Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia.
One of the major benefits of Adventure Links is the ability to live outside, in a platform tent, with a community of peers on 325 acres of beautiful park land. We also offer a community kitchen/ bathroom amenities, laundry and wireless internet. Participating in this lifestyle is often a significant growth experience for our staff members.
Applications are accepted year round.
- Minimum 18 years old
- First Aid and CPR Minimum. WFA/WFR expected by second year of employment. Staff members with WFR certification are given preference on overnight and expedition programs.
- Experience working with youth in a leadership role.
- Training in outdoor leadership or significant personal outdoor experience.
- Desire to develop as an outdoor leader and facilitator.
- Flexible, good humored and personable.
- Invested in providing positive outdoor experiences for youth.
- Strong work ethic, responsible and accountable.
- Preference is given to applicants who are able to work for the entire length the employment period.
- Work full and active days outside in the elements.
- Supervision of campers, students and all other clients.
- Ability to demonstrate and lead activities.
- Genuine desire to work with youth.
- Be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Supervise participants and maintain emotionally and physically safe environments.
- Implement and instruct outdoor activities and Adventure Links curriculum.
- Manage daily program logistics.
- Maintain program facility and gear.
- Communicate clearly and openly with Adventure Links administration.
- Practice and facilitate Leave No Trace ethic.
As a member of the summer staff, Camp Instructors facilitate weeklong outdoor adventure day camps, residential camps and traveling overnights for youth ages 8-14. Instructor teams facilitate a new adventure pursuit each day and lead groups of up to 13 participants as they explore a variety of outdoor recreation sites in Northern Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia.
All Instructors will supervise participants and maintain an emotionally and physically safe environment, implement and instruct outdoor activities and the Adventure Links curriculum, manage daily program logistics, maintain program facility and gear, communicate clearly and openly with Adventure Links administration and practice and facilitate a Leave No Trace ethic. During the summer months, Instructors may be scheduled for extended days lasting 10-12 hours or scheduled for overnight camps lasting 5-7 days. During the spring and fall seasons, a typical workday consists of challenge course facilitation and environmental education, with program typically lasting 6-8 hours.