ABOUT THE POSITION
The Senior Director, Curriculum Services builds systems and structures to support curriculum implementation partnerships across the country, especially in our country’s most underserved schools. The Senior Director oversees a small team tasked with developing professional development solutions to reach large numbers of curriculum users through digital courses, open enrollment events, and scalable strategies. Additionally, the Senior Director and her/his team support relationships with strategic partnerships designed to deepen the impact and penetration of EL’s curriculum offerings across the country.
The ideal candidate is a field leader in scaling the impact of curriculum and professional services to move literacy impacts in districts and schools, with a focus on equity and inclusion. The Senior Director will be a thought partner to the Chief Curriculum Services Officer to develop a multi-year strategy for scaling the adoption of the curriculum and associated professional services. S/he will build a roadmap of offerings for Teachers and School Leaders, including open enrollment events, online courses, virtual coaching and additional services that will support teachers and leaders at scale in implementing the curriculum to drive to impact across the three dimensions of student achievement (mastery of knowledge and skills, character, and high quality work).
The ideal candidates possess knowledge of the EL Education Language Arts curriculum and has experience leading teams to achieve results in diverse educational settings.
Estimated travel: 40% on average (examples of travel may include: in-person meetings with potential clients, internal team meetings, internal leadership meetings with colleagues, customer/partner events, select industry conferences to promote EL Education’s awareness, annual EL Education staff gathering).
This position is grant funded. Contract extension beyond grant expiration is possible but not guaranteed.
New York, NY or Amherst, MA. Remote locations also considered.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop a strategy to scale the delivery EL Education’s Curriculum Support Services across the country in partnership with EL’s sales/marketing/ distribution partner(s).
- Develop systems and structures to manage client relationships cultivated by sales/marketing/distribution partner(s)
- Determine programmatic offering needs from districts and work with internal Program Team to develop resources and tools to support scalable, replicable offerings
- Develop allocation and staff management tools to flexibly deploy coaches and consultants to client-facing events
- Monitor partner satisfaction through use of feedback data and qualitative outreach for Curriculum Support Services
- Develop a 3rd party licensing plan to develop additional capacity outside of EL to deliver professional development (PD) on our curriculum.
- Collaborate with other teams at EL and in partner organizations to identify, document and disseminate best practices for implementation of EL curricula and professional services.
- Partner with Product/Marketing and Finance team to develop pricing strategies for curriculum program offerings
- Provide national-level thought leadership around the integration of curriculum and professional development as strategies to drive impact with teachers and students.
- Attend and present at national events in order to promote, celebrate and explain EL Education’s curricula
Management and Oversight
- Strategically and actively manage a portfolio of partnerships to ensure consistency of impact and quality of services through the ongoing use of evidence and feedback
- Establish and maintain partner relationships with external partners in support of EL Education’s mission
- Provide ongoing and targeted support to new strategic partners including training staff in those partner organizations
- Ensure that high-quality, impactful professional development and services are provided to each partner and client
- Manage copyright and intellectual property of EL to support our long term success.
- Utilize and maintain systems for deploying full-time staff and consultants to high-quality services
- Manage financial and human resources to meet or exceed performance and revenue goals
Business and Product Development
- Conduct analysis of the market to identify growth opportunities for the Curriculum Services business at EL Education
- Develop strategy for design of professional development and virtual curriculum supports by assessing and analyzing market needs and customer feedback
- Determine programmatic offering needs from partners and work with El Education’s Program Team to develop resources and tools to support scalable, replicable offerings
- Develop systems to ensure effective collaboration, communication and alignment with Sales/Marketing/Distribution partner(s).
- Accurately project, manage and communicate coach availability in order to align capacity with Sales/Marketing/Distribution partner(s) sales pipeline
- Develop, pilot and implement a system to train and certify/license a cohort small number of members of an external partners organization(s) to deliver EL Education our PD offerings to their clients
Partnership Development and Portfolio Management
- Evaluate success conditions and identify new partners through EL Education’s partnership development process
- Deliver direct service to selected partners when appropriate and necessary
- Actively monitor feedback related to the continuum of curriculum support services offered by EL in order to maintain high-quality
- Intervene as needed to address barriers to impact and support successful partnership outcomes
- Build consistent tools to support curriculum adoption processes with districts (RFP/RFI, presentations, etc)
- Partner with Product/Marketing team to develop and implement strategies for adoption
- Develop internal communications (e.g. to field staff and field leadership team) on curriculum work in partnership with Curriculum Design and Product/Marketing teams
Performance Management and Talent Development
- Build, manage and support a team that could be comprised of directors, curriculum specialists, coaches and consultants who will manage relationships and drive impact with Curriculum Support Services clients and national district partners.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director, Curriculum Implementation, establish systems and structures for recruitment and training of consultants
- Provide differentiated coaching to staff and ensure development of new skills to effectively serve customers
- Evaluate and support the specialists and consultants and determine assignments aligned to customer needs and employee strengths
- Ensure ongoing talent management, bench building and career development across team
- Collaborate on the creation and implementation of systems and structures to support integration of Curriculum Implementation team with other EL Education teams
- Conduct annual performance review and ongoing feedback processes
- Support Directors to effectively allocate coach time in alignment with agreed-upon metrics
- With Human Resources, Program team and others, identify, train and support a pool of qualified consultants to support Curriculum Support Services.
- Accurately forecast projected revenue from Curriculum Services business line and manage the contracting process
- Leverage and integrate various capacities of the national organization (e.g. program, research, marketing, finance, development) to support customers and EL Education staff
- Other responsibilities as assigned
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and vision of student achievement.
- Compelling vision for the design and delivery of high quality digital and virtual supports for educators and school leaders.
- Demonstrated success with developing and executing impactful partnerships with K-12 districts/CMOs and instructional leaders, including curriculum adoptions.
- Ability to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds, particularly in larger urban settings. A commitment to respecting and increasing diversity through inclusive practices.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading, managing, and building capacity of high-performing teams.
- Experience managing change and creating an evidence-based culture of continuous learning.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic approach to support meaningful change.
- Willingness to accept feedback; devotion to continuous growth.
- Master’s degree in education, educational leadership or related field strongly preferred.
- Willingness to travel on some weekends due to planned partner or internal events, as needed.
We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.