HFH Summer Camps is looking for a FULL-TIME, YEAR-ROUND Senior Camps Director to run our 2 summer camps. The successful candidate must place an emphasis on high quality, educational, innovative and fun programming. We are looking for someone who will lead by example to infuse enthusiasm and excitement into daily programming. Candidates must have experience leading a team successfully.
Who are we?
HFH Summer Camps operates two summer camps in beautiful Harriman State Park. These camps are distinct because they offer free, sleep away experiences for any child from NYC who is homeless or formerly homeless.
HFH Summer Camps offer a chance to experience the summer of a lifetime: rewarding work, outdoor activities, and lots of diverse and interesting people. We hire staff from the United States, Great Britain, Europe, Africa, Canada, South America and more! All of our staff members bring great personalities, remarkable skills, and a wealth of different perspectives.
Working at Camps Lanowa and Wakonda is ideal for students considering careers in childcare, education, psychology, social work, and physical education. Camp provides staff with a great opportunity to improve interpersonal and problem-solving skills, make new friends, and build special relationships to help children in need.
To make the HFH summer camp experience the best it can be, we are looking for enthusiastic team players that can work with people of all backgrounds. Successful applicants are flexible and highly creative. Maturity, responsibility, and genuine interest in children are all important to working at camp. Because our campers are often demanding, patience and sensitivity are necessary. In joining our team, we ask you to bring to camp a good attitude and an open mind. Above all else, great staff members should be ready to dedicate themselves to a group of children who are having the time of their lives.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee and manage two camps (which are close in proximity). This includes direct supervision of a Camp Director at each camp.
- Year-round preparations for summer camp programs, including events, published materials, and community outreach opportunities
- Administrative duties as they relate to DOH licensed camp programs and American Camp Association Accreditation; maintain compliance of regulations and accreditation in all areas including but not limited to: staff and child files, health care, licensing renewal, etc.
- Ensure adherence with safety protocols, health procedures, and licensing requirements.
- Work with HR Manager to ensure proper staffing and staff paperwork for program site.
- Plan/lead staff training and provide on-going development and mentoring to seasonal staff
- Maintain inventory and order materials for departments
- Oversee the development of the daily programming schedule for entire summer of camp
- Communicate effectively with camper parents about programs; work with finance, seasonal camp directors, transportation coordinator, and billing department
What are we looking for?
- Background in camping and recreation leadership with a minimum 3 years’ experience in the field of camping, recreation, or education
- Knowledge DOH regulations, knowledge of ACA accreditation standards a plus
- Experience in multi-site operational management, managing projects, programs, or services
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with K-8th grade range
- Prior experience working with families and children
- Strong community building capabilities
- A demonstrated ability in supervising staff
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, advanced degree preferred
Who are you?
- You have an extensive hat collection. You wear many of them. You operate with an all-hands-on-deck mentality and understand that there’s no task too small, especially when your impact is so big.
- Ability to creatively schedule programs, facilities and staff; ability and experience in supervising students, campers and staff; ability to speak publicly to large groups; strong character, integrity, adaptability, enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
- You’ll hire, train, collaborate with and develop a team of 2 site directors
- Maintain a positive and productive attitude while always keeping the highest quality of customer service
- Extreme organization skills with superior written and spoken communication skills
- You’ll hit your numbers; you’ll skillfully confirm and drive camper enrollment
Salary is commensurate with experience.
HFH Summer Camps has a strong EEO commitment and encourages applicants that will increase the diversity of our organization. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.