The Ropes Course Specialist (RCS) for the Hockomock Area YMCA Challenge Courses at Camp Elmwood & Camp Wigi will be responsible for overseeing the operation of a comprehensive ropes course including high and low ropes course elements. The RCS will be able to ensure physical, mental, social, and emotional safety for campers aged 8-17 while using the ropes course. The RCS will develop 1-2hr long curriculum for climbing, high ropes, and low ropes elements. The RCS will be responsible for setting up, devising and safely guiding multiple participants through a series of programmed elements to achieve their desired goals. The RCS will use the Hockomock Area YMCA course to provide an opportunity for groups to recognize and safely reach their potential. This will include promoting self-confidence, positive group dynamics, and the expansion of their problem solving abilities. RCS is expected to work professionally & independently with little supervision.
- Ability to lead cooperative group games
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to facilitate low ropes elements
- May be able to facilitate high ropes elements independently in accordance with local operating procedures
- Must demonstrate familiarity with local operating procedures
- Must be able to communicate clearly using the English language in written and verbal formats
- Must be comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups
- Strong desire to help participants and colleagues seek and learn from a variety of challenges
- A background in Experiential/Outdoor Education
- Experience working with youth ages 8-16.
- Experience with low and high ropes course elements and experiential education facilitation
- Must be able to pass the Hockomock Area YMCA challenge course facilitator skill verification checklist or have a current Level 2 facilitator certification from an ACCT accredited Professional Vendor (PVM)
- Must be able to stand and walk for an entire 8-hour workday
- Must be able to lift and carry 35lbs up to 50 yards.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Must have full use of arms and hands