Description of Organization: Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC) is a non-profit, volunteer-based organization that makes the joy and challenge of outdoor adventures accessible to people with disabilities and disadvantaged youth, inspiring self-confidence, connection to nature, and stewardship of the environment. For over four decades, ETC has shared Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Cross Country Skiing and Youth Leadership adventures with over 83,000 amazing participants.
Position Description: The River Program Manager is responsible for the oversight of ETC’s whitewater rafting program that primarily serves people with disabilities and youth from under-resourced backgrounds. Successful candidates will have a proven track record in outdoor program management, possess strong whitewater rafting and outdoor leadership skills, and have keen organizational and administrative skills.
• You are inspired by ETC’s mission and community of participants, volunteers, and donors and are motivated to clearly articulate the impact of our programs.
• You are a strategic thinker and keep the big picture in mind along with getting the process and the details right.
• You are a team player and your colleagues trust you and enjoy collaborating with you to deliver ETC’s mission and grow the quality and size of our programs.
• You believe in the power of outdoor adventures and environmental education programs to build confidence and self efficacy, along with inspiring a connection to the natural world and a stewardship ethic.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Outreach & Trip Booking
• Develop a comprehensive outreach and marketing plan with the program management team that addresses program growth targets.
• Identify, contact, and build relationships with potential partner organizations.
• Book trips with current and new program partners, ensuring that the season is scheduled to meet the River Program’s annual user day and nancial targets.
• Maintain trip booking database and financial information.
• Develop online newsletter communications and social media presence.
Staff & Volunteer Management
• Recruit and train a volunteer cohort and orchestrate Guide Training.
• Conduct on-going skills development workshops for new and seasoned guides.
• Hire Field Staff and facilitate trainings and evaluation.
• Schedule volunteers and staff to serve as river guide and trip leaders.
Program & Trip Operations
Responsible for program quality, ensuring each trip is conducted in a safe, educational and fun manner.
Develop trip content and curriculum focusing on environmental education, group development, and leadership.
Work with Operations Manager to provide oversight of river equipment and vehicle purchase and maintenance.
Along with the Property Manager, provide oversight of the ETC River Camp.
Guide and lead river trips as needed.
Oversight of program budget.
Serve as a resource to all River trips, providing guidance to field staff and volunteers and responding to incidents when necessary.
Ensure volunteers and staff adhere to ETC’s Policies and Procedures in all aspects of trip operations.
Participate in ETC’s Risk Management and Program Development Committees.
Program Planning and Evaluation
Conduct program evaluation with agency partners and individuals to receive feedback, track outcomes and ensure program quality.
Review guide evaluations of every trip to track quality and monitor program needs.
Participate in annual program planning, including goal setting and budget development.
Track program metrics, analyzing outcome and user data to understand trends and develop recommendations for growth.
Write quarterly reports for the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
• Minimum of two years outdoor program management experience.
• Competent whitewater raft guide with at least two years of guiding experience.
• Proven experience with staff and/or volunteer management.
• Experience or keen interest in working with underserved populations, specifically people with disabilities and/or youth from under-resourced communities.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, along with strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build positive relationships with our volunteers, staff, and agencies.
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently.
• Strong organizational and administrative skills.
• Computer literacy (Salesforce experience preferred).
• WFA and CPR certification. WFR or WEMT strongly preferred.
• Experience operating large vehicles with trailers.
Term: Full-time, year-round
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and 403b retirement plan with employer match.
To apply: Submit a Resume and Cover Letter stating how this position ts your professional background and current career goals. Email to: Magen Kuzma at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please write “River Program Manager Application”.
ETC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
People from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!