Residential, full-time position in Rhinebeck, NY, includes room & board. Seeking an experienced supervisor with a strong background in outdoor education and ropes course facilitation.
About Ramapo for Children
Founded in 1922, Ramapo for Children works on behalf of young people whose challenging behaviors put them at risk of being relegated to the margins of their families, schools and communities. Ramapo’s philosophy is built around the simple belief that all people want the same things: to learn, to be valued for who they are, and to experience success. Our work is accomplished through four primary programs:
· Ramapo Retreats: short-term, adventure-based experiences for young people and educators that give participants strategies for successful communication, teamwork, and leadership.
· Camp Ramapo: a residential summer camp in Rhinebeck, NY that serves over 550 children with a range of cognitive disabilities and behavioral challenges.
· The Staff Assistant Experience (SAE): a transition-to-independence program for young adults aged 18 to 25 with social, emotional, or learning challenges.
· Ramapo Training: a professional development program providing educators, parents, and youth workers with practical tools for promoting positive behaviors.
About this Position
The Retreat program supervisor provides instructional leadership and works in partnership with visiting schools and organizations to create experiential learning opportunities that work towards designated outcomes and align and support educational objectives, and social emotional learning, healthy peer relationships and Community Building. Our programming targets skill building and social emotional learning with Outdoor Education, adventure based learning and youth development at its core.
· Ropes Course- Provide expertise, experience and skills specific to the operation of high and low ropes elements. This includes supervision of facilitators, orientation and training and assisting in the maintenance of the course and equipment related to the course.
· Staff Training- Participate in Ramapo based training. Develop and facilitate training opportunities for retreat facilitators that include but are not limited to, small group facilitation, outdoor education, ropes course, purposeful debrief and other.
· Group Supervision of Rama-Year Staff- Responsible for co-facilitation of staff development and ongoing supervision and training of a cohort of recent college grad direct service staff with multiple roles on Campus
· Retreat Leadership- Meet regularly with Retreat Team Leadership to assess needs of the team and create trainings and opportunities for skill development as it relates to the residential community members and participants of the Campus.
Required skills, knowledge, and abilities:
· 3 years extensive challenge/ropes course facilitation experience, both high and low elements
· 2 years experience supervising staff; demonstrated experience with high element rescue techniques
· Ability to live on Ramapo’s campus in Rhinebeck, NY
· Motivation, and an interest in Ramapo’s mission
Experience in youth development, special
education, outdoor education, community development, and/or adventure education
is a plus