Location: Town Office, Western North Carolina
Length of Position: May - August
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of South Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The Resident Whitewater Specialist (RWS) plays a pivotal role, both as a whitewater specialist and as a pivotal member of the whitewater leadership team and town office community. The RWS brings consistency to the whitewater program throughout the season and serves as a resource for instructors and other Whitewater Specialists. The Whitewater Program Manager (WPM) depends on the RWS to help implement the objectives of the program and serve as a conduit of information. It is expected that the RWS will work up to 70 days during their contract period. The majority of days will be field-based whitewater instruction, with the remainder intended for administration, projects, and professional development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mentor Whitewater Specialists and Instructional Staff, providing direct performance feedback and development steps.
- Assist the WPM in organizing and facilitating whitewater related staff trainings and professional development days.
- As required, assist the WPM in the scheduling of staff, date changes, and river-related projects.
- Monitor and communicate program quality and safety trends to WPM.
- Work with WPM to manage and maintain the equipment and supplies of the whitewater program.
- Assist the WPM with projects, including the maintenance of vehicles, trailers, and boats.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds and participate in vigorous to moderate physical activity including but not limited to paddling and working in the field.
- Irregular work hours as necessary.
- Minimum two years working for Outward Bound or similar programs.
- Minimum two years working as an NCOBS Whitewater Specialist or equivalent experience.
- ACA Level 4 Whitewater Canoe Instructor (or Equivalent).
- Swiftwater Rescue Training.
- Current WFR and CPR, and other certifications and training related to position.
- Ability to drive school vehicles – meet DOT medical requirements.
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS mission and values.
- Strong knowledge of Outward Bound history, standards, and programs.
- An outstanding record as an instructor and/or trainer.
- Able to give and receive timely, effective oral and written feedback.
- Strong and effective leadership, supervisory, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Personal initiative, motivation, and resourcefulness.
- Cooperative attitude and ability to be flexible; good team player.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Per-diem rate based on NCOBS pay matrix for both instructional days and technical project days. $80-$142 / day.
- Previous experience in similar skill sets awarded with commensurate pay.
- Access to seasonal staff benefits, including robust professional purchase program.
- Food stipend during pre and post-course days and technical project days.
- $200 of professional development money that can be reimbursed upon successful completion of the work agreement.
- Housing provided under the agreement. Partial housing stipend provided for persons with their own housing.
- Upload a cover letter, resume – including three references, and paddling log through our website: White Water Specialist Position
- Qualified candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
- The position will remain open until filled.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.