RECREATIONAL EQUIPMENT, INC. (REI) - San Diego
What's cool about this job
The Market Manager for San Diego contributes to REI’s success by leading and growing REI’s regional outdoor programs. The position oversees REI Outdoor education, volunteerism, recreation programs, and events within a given geographic region.
Bring your passion and expertise
• Overall market leadership of Outdoor Programs & Outreach .
• Located in San Diego, the Outdoor Programs Market Manager oversees REI’s outdoor education, events, recreation and volunteerism programs within this geographic region.
• Drive participation, revenue and program growth, managing and training instructional and outreach staff, leading corporate initiatives at a regional and market level, and serving as the main point of contact for community engagement, outdoor program risk management, land agencies, and retail management.
• Primary regional budget management, local program promotion, contract negotiations and partnerships, program assortment and scheduling, program assessment and reporting, program operations, contact for local public relations efforts.
• Collaborate with local store managers to develop and execute locally relevant programming and community efforts
• Collaborate with marketing on local social media opportunities
• Collaborate with public affairs on the market grants program
• Provide coaching and direction to employees in order to achieve department and company results, and exceptional customer service and long-term relationships
• 3-5 years of management/supervisory experience. Experience managing in a virtual environment and/or a team distributed over a large region preferred.
• 3-5 years of experience managing two or more of the following: event/sponsorship, community relations, outdoor education or recreation programs
• Excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills to include proven ability to communicate effectively in team environments, to build and foster effective working relationships within REI and with multiple business partners.
• Working knowledge of legal, regulatory, and risk management issues related to outdoor recreation
• Ability to make effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics
• Experience managing contract and partnership negotiations, in particular with land agencies and community organizations
• Experience managing budgets over $300,000 with proven successful experience in creating annual plans, budgeting, execution, and evaluation
• Ability to effectively create program assortments which will maximize outdoor participation and revenue for a given region
• BA degree in business management, or outdoor recreation management or equivalent a plus.
• Wilderness First Aid or First Responder Certification (within 1st 3 months of hire)
• Ability to acquire a CDL and/or drive a 15 passenger van and loaded trailer – valid driver’s license
Why you'll love it here
If you are a strong outdoor programs and business leader and enjoy blending your experience and love for the outdoors within your career, then you’ll love working at REI.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 19 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Permanent, full time
SALARIED: Min $65,895 - Mid $85,592 - Max $105,310
APPLY ONLINE: REI.COM/JOBS