PROGRAM LEADER JOB DESCRIPTION
The mission of Chicago Voyagers is to empower at-risk youth through outdoor experiential adventures that foster healthy relationships and responsible behavior.
As a Program Leader, you will be responsible for leading a group of 3-10 teens, a youth agency leader, and 1-2 volunteers on single and multi-day adventure programs. Dates are variable, with peak activity between May to September. Most of the programs occur when students are not in school - during the summer and on weekends during other parts of the year. Some programs occur during school hours
Position 1 and 2: 2-year round part time Position 3: full time summer only (housing negotiable)
Work-days: most non-school days (weekends, summers, 1 weekday)
Program Location: Chicago, IL and surrounding area Pay range is $115-$190/day
PROGRAM LEADER QUALIFICATIONS
• Documented youth development, experiential education, mentoring, and/or teaching experience with adolescents
• For summer position, documented youth wilderness leadership experience of two summers.
• Experience in the following outdoor program areas:
· Group and risk management
· Hard skills: Bicycling, canoeing and camping
· Backcountry, backpacking, caving, rock climbing, and xc skiing skills a plus
• Wilderness First Aid (WFA) (WAFA/WFR required for certain programs, training be taken at start of work)
• At least 20 years old and be able to pass a criminal and driving background check
• Physically fit: be able to carry a 70 lb. canoe by yourself, hike 8/paddle 15 or more miles a day and also deal with rain and mosquitoes in a positive manner.
• Need to transport yourself for local programs, most of which occur at Busse Woods. Access to vehicle with hitch for towing canoes a plus.
• Background in counseling, social work or psychology a plus.
• Minority and bilingual (Spanish speaking) candidates are encouraged to apply.
PROGRAM LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES
The CV Program Leader is accountable for all field decisions. In order to provide for the physical and emotional well-being of participants, leaders need to be prepared to make decisions affecting all aspects of their programs including behavior management. Other responsibilities include:
Program Content and Quality
• Facilitation and instruction using CV program guidelines
• Ensuring program effectiveness by:
· Planning strategies to achieve program outcomes of growth in empowerment, responsibility and inter-personal skills.
· Identifying youth needs and planning interventions
· Identifying and clarifying group goals
· Assigning and managing team member roles and responsibilities
• Following Chicago Voyagers policies, procedures, and guidelines
• Managing risk and attending to participant health by following accepted industry standards and practice
• Coordinating pre-program communications with agency staff and volunteers.
• Collection and review of paperwork.
• Issuing, care for, cleaning and transporting equipment for programs.
• Planning and purchasing food for multi-day programs.
• The summer only position will spent 15-25% of their time on program support
To apply for a Program Leader position, please contact Bess McGeorge at email@example.com