Program Director, Adventure Recreation Management - WVU Tech- 10040
West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), part of the WVU system of campuses located in Beckley, WV, is currently inviting applications and nominations for the following employment opportunity:
The Department of Sport Studies in the colllege of Business, Humanities and Social Sciences is seeking an outstanding teacher and creative administrator to lead the delivery of a new academic program in Adventure Recreation Management and to work with its complimentary Tech Adventures Student Life Outdoor Orientation Program. The position is full-time, 9 months, benefits-eligible, non-tenure track, Teaching Assistant Professor and Program Director.
Within an hour of the WVU Beckley campus are world class adventure recreation resources, including whitewater paddling, rock climbing and mountain biking. The New River Gorge National River, Gauley River National Recreation Area, Bluestone National Scenic River, Monongahela National Forest, the Boy Scouts of America's Summit Bechtel Reserve High Adventures Base and numerous state parks and forests provide endless adventure opportunities for students and staff.
To be successful in the position, the ideal candidate will:
- Provide academic leadership for the organization and delivery of WVU Tech's Adventure Recreation Management academic degree.
- Teach six to nine undergraduate hours per semester of adventure recreation theoretical and applied program management courses.
- Collaborate with the Student Life Tech Adventures & Summer Outdoor Orientation Program.
- Perform budget management, student advising, program risk management, committee participation and program evaluation.
- Lead student recruitment and community partnership efforts.
- Supervise and evaluate the program.
Date of Appointment: January 2, 2019 (start date is flexible)
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2018
Please apply at: https://hr.wvutech.edu/employment_opportunities
Salary: Salary is commensurate with background and experience
WVU Tech boasts a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of 17 students, allowing personalized attention in a supportive environment. WVU Tech is ranked first in the state for return on investment and is ranked seventh in the nation in annual ROI for students paying in-state tuition. The campus is near several state and national parks and numerous recreational opportunities. More information about the lege of Business, Humanities and Social Sciences may be found at: http://bhss.wvutech.edu and information on the Adventure Program athttps://techadventures.wvutech.edu.Qualifications
- Master's Degree is required (doctorate preferred) with experience in outdoor recreation programming, adventure education or related field.
- Documented success in teaching adventure recreation academic coursework at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Three years of experience in management of outdoor programs or businesses is preferred.
- Two years of experience leading field skill areas is required.
- Certification in one or more field skill areas is desirable.
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Three (3) professional references with full contact information
- University transcripts
- Additional materials may be requested later
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.