The REI Outdoor School Senior Instructor is responsible for leading REI Outdoor School programs, managing operations for all local classes, mentoring other instructors and managing risk of local classes. Senior Instructors teach in-store classes and conduct programs in the field. They are responsible for the delivery of class content and the safety of all participants in the field while providing excellent customer service. Senior Instructors maintain equipment, coordinate outing logistics, staff scheduling, and permit management, prior to classes. Senior Instructor applicants must be highly competent in course content and skilled in demonstrating their designated activity or sport. They must have the ability to coach a wide variety of customers and mentor instructional staff.
Join our Outdoor School team where you will find supportive leadership, a committed staff and an engaging work culture.
Do you aspire to adventure? Do you thrive in the outdoors and want to help others do the same? Bring your passion to REI and help fulfill our mission to educate, inspire and outfit our customers for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship! REI Outdoor Programs & Outreach helps people experience the outdoors through education and by making it easy for people to get outside and enjoy the outdoors. We provide entry-level to intermediate-level outdoor education programs in everything from Rock Climbing to Kayaking to Mountain Biking to Navigation (and more!). Here are the skills and experience levels we look for in our Senior Instructors:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in outdoor education with experience teaching and/or guiding outdoor experience
- Ability to effectively instruct customers in multiple environments and multiple subject areas
- Demonstrated outdoor leadership skills to include outstanding teaching and presentation abilities, and exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Experience working with community partners and customers
- Understanding of complex logistical systems to ensure efficiency of programming
- 1+ years of Outdoor Program Risk Management experience preferred
- Knowledge of legal and risk management issues related to outdoor education
- Experience managing a team preferred
- Prior responsibility managing a budget over $20,000 preferred
- Use business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Commitment to outstanding customer service with the ability to effectively resolve difficult customer issues and consider the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Ability to build capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, and communication
- Regional knowledge of local outdoor venues and resources is highly desirable
- Required Certification in Wilderness First Aid and CPR. Experience as a Wilderness First Responder and additional certifications preferred (i.e., AMGA, ACA, LAB, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license with no negative incidents and ability to acquire commercial driver’s license which includes medical screen and the ability to pass drug screen
- Degree in Outdoor Recreation and/or Management a plus
- Computer skills using MS PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and the Internet
The OUTDOOR SCHOOL SENIOR INSTRUCTOR is a key member of the Outdoor School Team. This job contributes to REI’s success by serving as a lead for local outdoor school instruction and operations.
REI’s Outdoor Programs is a fast paced, fun, and innovative team. Over the next 2 years we are working together toward doubling the number of participants we engage through inspiring outdoor experiences while also tightening REI’s connection in the local community. The Outdoor School Senior Instructor is a key member of the Outdoor School Team. This job contributes to REI’s success by serving as a lead for local outdoor school instruction and operations. Some key responsibilities include:
- Fulfills the direction for the outdoor programs within their market with direction from the REI Outdoor Programs and Outreach (OPO) Market Manager.
- Manages day to day logistical operations of field programs including instructor scheduling, store scheduling, customer communications (customer service issues), and course preparations.
- Instructs in the field and serves as lead instructor.
- Supports (OPO) Market Manager in training implementation and instructor assessment.
- Ensures fulfillment of budget goals, manages expenses to those goals with guidance from OPO Market Manager.
- Contributes to and rolls out national operational consistency
- Serves as risk management support to OPO Market Manager.
- Contributes to program planning for the market.
- Coordinates and communicates program plans with stores.
- Reports to the REI OPO Market Manager and is located within a retail market, within a retail district
Pay Range: $17.30 minimum, $21.60 mid-range, $25.95 maximum. Start date: As soon as filled