Love the outdoors and teaching urban youth about ecology? Have a sense of adventure?
Christodora: Nature, Learning, Leadership since 1897 is seeking Outdoor / Environmental Educators to work at its Manice Education Center located in the heart of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts this fall, then teach inside of New York City public school classrooms for the winter before returning to the Center in spring of 2019. This is a great opportunity to share your passion for nature with NYC youth while enjoying a pristine wilderness playground, alongside music, arts, and festivities in nearby college towns in Mass. and all the wonderful museums and attractions in NYC.
MEC Fall Session: September 4 through October 27, 2018
NYC Ecology Program: November 2018 – Mid April 2019
MEC Spring Session 2019: Mid April 2019 to Mid June 2019
*NOTE: Up to approx. 3.5 weeks of paid vacation are included
operatesseveral distinctly different seasonal programs focusing on highly engagingopportunities for junior and senior high school youth from New York City in environmentaleducation,wildernessexpeditions,andleadershiptrainingfromMaythroughOctober. The Center is located on a 200 acre forested campus, surrounded by thousands of acres in abutting Savoy Mountain State Forest, boasting mountain streams, rivers, ponds and diverse wildlife including moose!
Facilitate challenge course activities designed to focus on teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development.
Inspire curiosity about our natural world through discovery-based activities in forested ecosystems. Use our testing equipment & interact with live exhibits in our science lab.
Learn and teach wilderness survival skills including primitive fire making, shelter building, and foraging for wild edibles.
Lead nighttime hikes to see the stars and the magic of bioluminescence.
Supervise 6-7 youth overnight in canvas, cabin style tents on platforms.
Celebrate with skits, drumming, and s’mores at our campfire program—rain or shine in a gazebo surrounded by forest—that can seat the entire campus.
Mentor outdoor educator assistants as part of a small co-teaching group working with 10-12 participants.
· Develop/present ecology based environmental lessons with experiential and inquiry based approaches to classrooms in our partner NYC public schools.
· Facilitate day trips to environmental/cultural institutions and natural areas in NYC.
· Attend Christodora-MEC reunions and occasionally participate in Christodora’safterschool programs.
Environmental Educators in New York City co-teach two semesters of a 7 week curriculum that brings hands on lessons in ecology, including owl pellet dissection, animal adaptions with animal furs and skulls, flower dissections, and more. For seven weeks you will travel to teach 4-5 classes in a partner school, with different partner schools being served on each day of the week.
· Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
· Ability to be flexible across many different classroom settings and school cultures, and provide sensitive caring approaches to the diverse needs of students.
· BA/BS in related discipline preferred. Significant professional experience considered.
· At lest 4 weeks experience in a role responsible for children.
· Background clearances and medical physical required.
· Experience in outdoor / environmental education
· Experience working with urban school groups
· Spanish/English Bilingual a plus.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Competitive weekly salary.
· Lodging & basic amenities, excellent food service provided while at the Manice Education Center.
· Apartment (internet and utilities included), MTA transportation pass, cell phone provided while in NYC.
· Access to wilderness equipment, and outdoor equipment discounts.
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to include wilderness, leadership, and/or education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ firstname.lastname@example.org;or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse, educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.