Love the outdoors? Have a sense of adventure? Enjoy working with youth?
Christodora: Nature, Learning, Leadership since 1897 is seeking Outdoor Educators to work at its Manice Education Center located in the heart of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. This is a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers to enjoy a pristine wilderness playground, alongside music, arts, and festivities in nearby college towns.
operates several distinctly different seasonal programs focusing on highly engaging opportunities for junior and senior high school youth from New York City in environmental education, wilderness expeditions, and leadership training from May through October. The Center is located on a 200 acre forested campus, surrounded by thousands of acres in abutting Savoy Mountain State Forest, boasting mountain streams, rivers, ponds and diverse wildlife including moose!
Join our diverse team for spring, or summer, or fall or for all 3 seasons!
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Spring): 4-9 to 6-8-18
Seasonal Summer Camp Backcountry Expedition Program: 6-11 to 8-26-18
MEC offers SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Red Cross CPR Certification Courses on 6-9 & 6-10.
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Fall): 9-5 to 10-28-18
Facilitate challenge course activities designed to focus on teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development.
Inspire curiosity about our natural world through discovery-based activities in forested ecosystems. Use our testing equipment & interact with live exhibits in our science lab.
Learn and teach wilderness survival skills including primitive fire making, shelter building, and foraging for wild edibles.
Lead nighttime hikes to see the stars and the magic of bioluminescence.
Supervise 6-7 youth overnight in canvas, cabin style tents on platforms.
Celebrate with skits, drumming, and s’mores at our campfire program—rain or shine in a gazebo surrounded by forest—that can seat the entire campus.
Mentor outdoor educator assistants as part of a small co-teaching group working with 10-12 participants.
Outdoor Educators in our Summer Programs lead Wilderness Expeditions:
· 6 overnight wilderness expeditions backpacking and/or canoeing for 2-5 days in length.
· Hike on the Appalachian Trail, Long Trail, and Mahican-Mohawk Trail.
· Paddle a series of mountain ponds and rivers in Southern New England, including the Deerfield River, Connecticut River, and Battenkill River.
· Lead youth in service projects to improve publicly used wilderness areas and trails.
· Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
· BA/BS in related discipline preferred. Significant professional experience considered.
· Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
· Experience in outdoor education & leadership training in a camp setting.
· Experience working with urban school groups (field trip program only)
· Experience with wilderness navigation (summer only)
· Spanish/English Bilingual a plus.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Competitive weekly salary; lodging & basic amenities, excellent food service.
· Access to wilderness equipment, and outdoor equipment discounts.
**Outdoor Educators work as Outdoor Education Residential Camp Counselors
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to include wilderness, leadership, and/or education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ email@example.com; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse, educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.