The Manice Education Center (MEC) is intentionally located in a unique outdoor setting within the heart of the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts. MEC operates several distinctly different seasonal programs that are experientially focused in high-quality environmental education, wilderness camping, and leadership training from May through October.
Staff at the Manice Education Center work closely together in a supportive atmosphere teaching small, coed groups (10-12) of New York City (NYC) youth in a variety of outdoor classrooms and camp settings. With a staff to student ratio averaging 1:6, outdoor education counselors and assistant counselors facilitate debates, science labs, cooperative games, group initiatives, and campfires for groups of approximately forty youth. Outdoor Education Counselors in the spring/fall programs will facilitate 3-day school chaperoned field trips at MEC for our partner NYC public schools. Outdoor Education Counselors in the summer programs will lead wilderness expeditions for campers & can expect to guide an average of 6 backpacking and/or canoeing trips, ranging from 2 to 5 days in length.
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Spring): 4-9 to 6-8-18
Seasonal Summer Camp Backcountry Expedition Program: 6-11 to 8-26-18
MEC offers on 6-9-18 a 2 day SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Red Cross CPR Certification Courses before the start of summer training.
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Fall): 9-5 to 10-28-18
- Develop and deliver experientially focused educational opportunities for youth ages 11-18 in environmental science and leadership training courses.
- Facilitate low ropes course elements and group initiatives.
- Facilitate 3 day, school chaperoned field trips (spring & fall only)
- Safely lead groups on extended backcountry excursions (summer only)
- Overnight supervision of students or campers (max. 7) in cabin style tents
- Mentor, support, and empower Outdoor Education Assistant Counselors
- Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
- Experience in outdoor education & leadership training in a camp setting.
- Experience working with urban school groups (field trip program only)
- Experience with wilderness navigation (summer only)
- BA/BS in related discipline preferred. Significant professional experience considered.
- Field Trip Program Education Counselors: Current First Aid and CPR certifications
- Summer Camp Education Counselors:
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications or the ability & commitment to successfully obtain during certification courses offered at MEC in June.
- Waterfront Lifeguard Certification, or ability & commitment to successfully obtainduring certification courses offered at MEC in June, is preferred. (summer only)
- Spanish/English Bilingual a plus.
- Valid driver’s license preferred.
- Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
- Weekly salary. Lodging (cabin tents), basic amenities, excellent food service, and outdoor equipment discounts.
- Enjoy living in a unique outdoor setting, and be a part of a one hundred-year tradition of developing a constructive, supportive community through hard work, play, and dedication to our mission.
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ email@example.com; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.