Program/Position Description: www.christodora.org
operates several distinctly different seasonal programs focusing on highly engaging opportunities for junior and senior high school youth from New York City in environmental education, wilderness expeditions, and leadership training from May through October. The Center is located on a 150 acre forested campus, surrounded by 14,000 acres of protected state forests boasting mountain streams, rivers, ponds and diverse wildlife. In the heart of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, this is a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers to enjoy a pristine wilderness playground, alongside music, arts, and festivities in nearby college towns.
Assist Outdoor Educators to facilitate challenge course activities designed to focus on teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development.
Lead nighttime hikes to see the stars and magic of bioluminescence.
Celebrate with skits, drumming, and s’mores at our campfire program—rain or shine in a gazebo surrounded by forest—that can seat the entire campus.
Inspire curiosity about our natural world through inquisitive discovery based activities in our natural surroundings.
Supervise youth overnight in canvas, cabin style tents on platforms.
· Lead youth in service projects to improve publicly used wilderness areas and trails.
Educator Assistants in our Summer Programs assist in leading Wilderness Expeditions:
· 6 backpacking and/or canoeing trips ranging from 2-5 days in length.
· Hike on the Appalachian and Long Trail networks.
· Paddle pristine lakes and rivers in Southern New England.
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Spring): 4-9 to 6-8-18
Seasonal Summer Camp Backcountry Expedition Program: 6-11 to 8-26-18
MEC offers a 2 day SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Red Cross CPR Certification Courses before the start of summer training on 6-9 & 6-10.
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Fall): 9-5 to 10-28-18
Qualified applicants can work any combination of the spring, summer, and/or fall seasons.
· Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
· Some academic studies in the sciences and experience in outdoor leadership and adventure programming are preferred.
· Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications or the ability & commitment to successfully obtain during certification courses offered onsite in June.
· Waterfront Lifeguard Certification preferred, or ability obtain during onsite certification courses offered in June.
· Spanish/English Bilingual a plus.
· Must be 19 years of age to apply. Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
· Competitive weekly salary, lodging, & excellent food service.
· Access to wilderness equipment, and outdoor equipment discounts.
**Outdoor Educator Assistants work as Outdoor Education Residential Camp Assistant Counselors
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.