Under the general supervision of the OEC Program Director, the Program Coordinator will facilitate experiential education programming at the Outdoor Education Center, develop marketing strategies for fee-based programs, provide high quality contact with potential partner groups, promote non-cognitive skill development through experiential education, maintain all office organizational systems, supervise the Program Assistant, and support fundraising activities at the OEC.
1) Fee-based Coordination / Marketing (10%)
• Serve as a liaison with local schools and universities, program partners and other fee-based clients with the OEC.
• Develop marketing and outreach strategies to expand fee-based program partners.
• Promote new ideas to integrate OEC and FLOC in the community.
• Assist Program Director with special projects as needed, such as grant applications, fund raisers, and financial records.
• Coordinate activities, schedules, dietary restrictions, and any other important details both for groups visiting the OEC and specific OEC staff needs for the program.
• Communicate program needs to Site, Kitchen, and Program staff members accordingly with advance notice, typically in the form of weekly meetings.
• Coordinate adjunct facilitator staff scheduling and payment, in accordance with programming calendar and programming provided.
• Attend outreach and hiring events, such as fairs and grant luncheons, with a high level of professionalism.
2) Lesson Development / Hands-on Facilitation (70%)
• Develop and/or designate responsibility for all Leaders in Action and Summer camp schedules and curriculum.
• Supervise and manage weekly schedule of Program Assistant, whose primary responsibilities are to assist with Leaders in Action and Summer Camp program implementation.
• Distribute and process student applications for all mission-based programs in Jefferson County, WV, as well as collaborate with DC Camp Coordinator on registering DC students for Summer Camp.
• Facilitate high ropes, low ropes, environmental education, and any other needed programs for fee-based clients.
• Develop collaborative relationships with DC and OEC program staff, including ways to connect the two more throughout the year.
• Compile information for program reports, including but not limited to the Fall Report, End of School Year Report, and Summer Report.
• Design and/or schedule staff training for summer program counselors and adjunct facilitators.
• Serve as lead facilitator for 1-day, 2-day, and week-long programs.
• Occasionally stay as an overnight staff member at the OEC.
• Seek and maintain programming partnerships for mission-based educational opportunities that can be used for Leaders in Action programming as well as summer camp field trips and guest speakers.
3) Administration (20%)
• Manage and oversee daily office functions, including but not limited to the copier, fax, company phone line, appropriate service calls, and basic computer assistance.
• Create, type, and file notes from meetings, as well as ensuring messages reach the appropriate staff member(s).
• Coordinate the tentative program calendar as well as the master office calendar, noting all staff absences, program dates, and holidays.
• Assist the DC Accounting department by providing general data entry functions and providing detailed information on spending.
• Execute purchases for program and office supplies.
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field OR at least 5 years of significant experience in experiential education / program coordination
• At least 2 years program and/or education experience
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong organizational, leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills
• Significant experience working with youth
• Comfort with spending time outdoors in all types of weather, year-round
• Passion for environmental education
• Ability to type at least 35 words per minute
• First Aid, CPR, Wilderness First Responder, Emergency Medical Technician, or similar certification
• Ropes Course, River Guide, and/or Teambuilding facilitation
• Working directly with youth ages 10-14
• Experience with co-facilitating and/or co-teaching
• Lesson Plan development and implementation
• Camp counselor, camp internship, or similar experience is appreciated
• Some classroom teaching / teaching assistant hours is a plus
Send cover letter and resume to Human Resources, Hr@floc.org with “OEC Program Coordinator” in subject line.
This position description incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned might also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs. This position is located in Harpers Ferry, WV.