OUTDOOR EDUCATORS – Fall 2018 – Instructor Openings in California (seasonal)
Naturalists at Large is a leading outdoor and environmental education group in California. Since 1985, we have provided outdoor education programs for tens of thousands of students from over two hundred schools. We have introduced students to environments as diverse as the pygmy forest of Sonoma, the Giant Forest of Sequoia, the spring wildflowers of the SonoranDesert, and giant kelp forests of Santa Catalina Island’s waters.
We pride ourselves on our ability to facilitate outdoor programs that are exciting and fun, while giving students an understanding of the beauty and diversity of our planet. We are committed to teaching people of all ages the skills to be at ease in the outdoors, and to come to a better understanding of the Western ecosystems: mountains, deserts, and seashores.
Education of the natural world and learning how to become a responsible steward of the environment is every bit as important as traditional academics. Through thought provoking subject matter and activities, as well as Leave no Trace ethics and proper camping habits, we hope to inspire not only a love of the natural world, but a sense of responsibility to sustain wilderness for generations to come.
Naturalists at Large provides Outdoor Education experiences for public and private schools throughout the school year.
We use over 35 sites throughout California:
Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Salt Point, Point Reyes, Pinnacles, Colorado River, Catalina Island, Coastal Redwoods, Santa Monica Mountains, Santa Cruz Mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, Big Basin, and Mono Lake to name a few.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Lead students in 1-6 day outdoor education programs for grades 4-12. Teach natural history, human history, environmental education, team building & a variety of outdoor skills: camping, hiking, canoeing, cross-country skiing, and backpacking. Assist specialists (rock climbing; ropes course; kayak/snorkel instructors) with student instruction. All NAL employees are responsible for transporting themselves from site to site throughout California.
· Previous Professional Experience working with youth in an outdoor setting.
· Significant personal outdoor experience.
· Group management, time management, and solid facilitation skills for team building and initiatives
· Enthusiastic self-starter capable of working with minimal supervision.
· Demonstrated leadership/facilitator skills and safety/risk management skills
· 4-year University level academic background in environmental education, the natural sciences, outdoor recreation or related field.
· Familiarity with academic (biology, botany, geology, ecology, etc…) outdoor programs and a variety of outdoor activities
· Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR. (Wilderness First Responder or WEMT training is desirable). Please submit certification copies with application. On-Line certifications are NOT acceptable.
· Satisfactory response from the California Livescan Fingerprinting process
AVAILABILITY: New staff training for Fall will begin on either August 17th or September 3rd based on availability. Our season will run through November 16th . You will have consistent weekly work throughout our season.
BENEFITS: Entry-level compensation is $107 per day. For an average 4-day program plus a staff preparation day the pay is $535 plus room (or tent space) and board during program. A variety of specialized training are offered to employees throughout the season for Ropes Courses, Colorado River paddle trips, Catalina Island snorkel and kayak trips, Natural History, Rock Climbing/Anchor Building, and Outdoor Cooking. Pro purchase programs.
TO APPLY: Applications are available on our website at naturalistsatlarge.com. Alternately, you can call our office or email your request to email@example.com to receive your application today. Please return your application, cover letter and resume to Naturalists at Large, PO Box 3517, Ventura, CA 93006 OR e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone interviews will begin in May and will be on-going until positions are filled. For more information, you can call us at (805) 642-2692 ext. 13.
Naturalists at Large is “An Equal Opportunity Employer” –M/F/D/V