George Mason University is the largest public research university in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Here at Mason, we are setting the benchmark for a bold, progressive education that serves the needs of our students and communities. With a student population of over 36,000, representing more than 130 countries, our campus is an organically diverse environment! George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Mason Recreation oversees three facilities on the Fairfax campus of George Mason University including the Recreation Athletic Complex (RAC), the Aquatic Fitness Center (AFC), and Skyline fitness center. These facilities boast four gymnasiums, racquetball/ squash courts, several locker rooms, fitness galleries and dedicated rooms for yoga, cycling, group exercise, and marital arts/ self-defense classes. We house and maintain a recreation and competition pool, sauna, whirlpool, and several exterior facilities including a pavilion, turf and grass fields, jogging/ walking trails, and a team challenge course on our Science and Technology Campus. We provide the following programs and services for the campus community: Fitness, Aquatics, Outdoor Adventures, Intramural Sports, Club Sports, the EDGE (team building programming), as well as a Summer Youth Camp.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Membership and Sales Coordinator is a dual role position responsible for department sales and oversight of the management of Membership software for Mason Recreation. The position will split time between the Fairfax Campus Recreation Facilities and at The EDGE which is located at the SciTech campus in Manassas, VA. Membership responsibilities include supervision of the Membership software system as it pertains to memberships, facility rentals, and registration. This individual is the point of contact for membership inquiries. Sales responsibilities include meeting membership, sales and fundraising annual goals for the Recreation Department. Supports The EDGE in meeting its mission by generating sales of experiential education programs to University, Corporate, Community and School groups, assist in coordinating multi – media marketing efforts for The EDGE and establishing guidelines for outstanding internal and external customer service which facilitates client retention and referrals. The individual must be willing to seek out new sales opportunities through cold calling, networking, and social media. The chosen candidate will also be involved in setting up meetings with potential clients, conducting market research to increase sales, and evaluating customers’ needs.
- Be knowledgeable regarding all aspects of Facilities Operation software and its implementation within the department’s operation;
- Develop, coordinate and conduct a comprehensive and continual software training program for Mason Recreation staff;
- Manage functions of the membership operation ensuring accuracy and rectifying any issues or discrepancies;
- Work diligently with the various appropriate university departments in a collaborative manner pertinent to the efficient operation of the Fusion system;
- Be the point of contact for membership communication;
- Develop, recommend and implement Membership Terms and Conditions;
- Compose, compile, and present reports related to memberships, and assist with departmental reports;
- Work with the Assistant Director, Technology as it pertains to software implementation.
- Meets the annual sales goal for Memberships that include faculty/staff, corporate, part-time students and community groups;
- Meets annual sales goal for The EDGE located at the SciTech Campus, Manassas, VA;
- Oversees the client database for the Recreation Department including The EDGE;
- Responds to The EDGE program inquires, conducts follow-up calls to close a sale;
- Communicates client needs to appropriate staff;
- Records data related to client bookings;
- Maximize use of facility and resulting sales;
- Identifies new markets, responds to market conditions to meet budget requirements;
- Initiates cold calls to generate memberships, sales for The EDGE, fundraising and partnership initiatives;
- Solicits donors and partnerships for the Recreation Department.
- Works with the Assistant Director of Marketing to develop and implement annual marketing plans that include website, social media, education materials, tabling events on/off campus, brochures, mailings, and other marketing materials for memberships, partnership/fundraising initiatives and The EDGE;
- Coordinate publicity efforts with news agencies for memberships, partnerships, and The EDGE;
- Makes informational presentations.
- Oversees/maintains the schedule of client program, confirmations, changes to contracts and other communications for The EDGE;
- Communicates The EDGE client program information at weekly meetings;
- Manages client files;
- Schedules tours with potential clients and pertinent contacts as warranted at The EDGE and Recreation Facilities;
- Follow-up with clients to ensure programs have met expectations.
- Maintain the highest level of customer service at all times;
- Provide input for customer service policies; participate in the development and implementation of training conducted for customer service programs that result in pleasant, timely, and knowledgeable service for members, guests and clients;
- Help develop and participate in the administration of assessment including annual member/guest/The EDGE participant surveys used to obtain feedback.
- Develop and supervise tasks/projects performed by student staff.
- Review monthly financial results from memberships, sales, The EDGE and prepare and submit monthly reports;
- Comply with University fiscal policies;
- Complete all required forms in a timely manner and maintain Fusion’s accounting ledger. Work with the department’s designated staff for daily cash deposits;
- Process and audit unique memberships to include payroll deduction, corporate, honorarium and complimentary;
- Ensure appropriate client billing;
- Reviews/approves catering invoices;
- Assists Business Manager with collection of outstanding program funds as needed including The EDGE.
- Continue to develop professionally through membership and participation in applicable professional organizations and developmental workshops;
- Represent Mason Recreation on divisional and University-wide committees; represent the institution on regional/national committees.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Sport Management, or Business or an equivalent combination of education and related experience;
- Possess strong organizational, problem solving, leadership and teaching skills;
- Knowledge of fiscal policies and procedures;
- Ability to foster a positive work environment and encourage collaboration and teamwork;
- Commitment to making an active and meaningful contribution to the university’s well-being initiative;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends;
- Must be able to obtain AED/CPR, First Aid and Blood Borne Pathogens Certifications within 3 months of hiring.
- Master’s Degree in Recreation, Sport Management, Business, higher education or equivalent and demonstrated related experience. Will consider graduate assistantship as one year of experience;
- One year of sales experience;
- Experience with Facilities Operations Software and / or Sales Software.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09606z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by July 13, 2018; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.