Voyageur Outward Bound School (VOBS) delivers amazing hands on experiences that help people see that they can do far more than they believe.
VOBS is a charter of Outward Bound USA, the leading provider of experiential and outdoor education for youth and adults. We provide everything from multi week expeditions to single day programs which challenge people’s perceptions of what is possible. VOBS reaches over 2,000 students annually and has been serving its mission -- changing lives through challenge and discovery -- for over 50 years.
VOBS has consistently offered Veteran expeditions, courses for youth and young adults, as well as adults and families. Currently we operate programs at our basecamp in Ely, MN (Homeplace), the Twin Cities, and in Texas.
At VOBS we place a high priority on developing our staff and running a strong organization and we’re proud to be named one of the 100 best places to work in the country by Outside magazine.
VOBS has been on a strong growth path, more than doubling the number of students served in the past five years and growing revenue by more than 80% during that time. We are committed to growing our reach to serve more and more people with our life changing mission.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will play a critical role in spreading the mission of VOBS to more students, by leading the marketing for our longer courses, called Open Enrollment courses (OE), and by coordinating VOBS’ overall messaging.
NATIONAL MARKETING INTERFACE
· Serve as VOBS’ primary liaison with the national marketing organization, the Outward Bound Services Group (OBSG) for marketing Open Enrollment (OE) programs.
· Play a key role in determining and planning VOBS’ OE product mix, pricing and calendar, as well as course descriptions and presentation on national Outward Bound website.
· Execute national marketing initiatives at the local level, and ensure that national (OBSG) and regional (VOBS) marketing strategies are coordinated and aligned.
· Collaborate with and participate in marketing forums and teams and sharing lessons with other Outward Bound schools.
REGIONAL DIGITAL MARKETING AND OUTREACH
· Develop and lead the annual Open Enrollment (OE) marketing and outreach plan.
· Lead VOBS’ OE digital advertising (Facebook, Google ad words) and strengthen VOBS’ social media presence.
· Work with admissions staff to address courses in need of more enrollment.
· Manage content on VOBS.org website and utilize search engine optimization and analytics to drive healthy level of traffic.
· Manage local annual marketing spending budget of $70,000 (in addition to budget paid to OBSG for national marketing).
· Act as a key contact for marketing services and databases, such as Salesforce.
· Develop regional VOBS marketing and outreach collateral materials.
· Conduct market research to understand consumer behavior, how to better facilitate word of mouth and reach VOBS’ 20,000 alumni.
· Oversee and sometimes staff VOBS’ presence at various conferences, such as gap year fairs, trade shows and educational conferences.
· Work occasionally with local media organizations on public relations needs.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
COORDINATE VOBS’ OVERALL MESSAGING
· Coordinate VOBS’ overall communications calendar, working with Development, Group Programs and other areas.
· Help create a unified VOBS message and ensure its consistent use in all VOBS communications.
· Serve as a member of Emergency Response and Incident Command systems team in the event of an emergency, primarily in media relations and external communications.
· 3-5 years of experience managing pay per click marketing, social media and email marketing campaigns.
· Strong knowledge of digital marketing, social media and email marketing.
· Excellent communication skills – especially written -- and ability to tell VOBS’ story persuasively.
· Drive to meet revenue goals by creating and executing a solid marketing and sales plan.
· Commitment to the empowering mission and values of Outward Bound.
· Outstanding interpersonal skills.
· Willingness to work independently and collaborate locally,
regionally and with national colleagues.
· Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to work in a dynamic environment.
· Good organizational skills and ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously
· Bachelor’s Degree.
· Solid computer skills including fluency in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Knowledge of web platforms, graphic design and databases is helpful.
- Competitive salary.
- Full time (12 month) position with benefits package.
- Send cover letter, resume and 3 references to Jack Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please no phone calls.