Eagle Rock School is a co-ed, residential, tuition free, private, non-profit, full academic curriculum high school designed to work with students who chose to enroll and who have dropped out of public high school. The school is accredited by the Association for Experiential Education. The Wilderness Orientation course is required for all students as part of their first trimester. Our program model is based upon the Outward Bound process with unique modifications to fit Eagle Rock. The course focuses HEAVILY on personal growth and development. Activities include backpacking, top rope rock climbing and rappelling, non-technical peak ascents, solo, trail service work, and 5-mile final run.Responsibilities:
Function as part of the logistics team for a 24-day wilderness backpacking course for male and female students new to the high school.
This includes (but is not limited to) working with students, supporting pre-course packing, taking a mini-bus driver training, driving to Arizona, visiting groups in the field, facilitating resupply days, helping facilitate the climbing and rappelling day, driving shuttles, and post-course wrap-up.Dates and Locations:
Begin and end in Estes Park, CO. The course will be in the Superstition Mountains, Tonto National Forest, AZ). Contract dates are Jan 18th – Feb 24th, 2018 (this includes 1 week on campus, 24 days in the field, and 4 days of wrap up)Qualifications:
- Wilderness leadership experience preferred.
- Clean driving record and experience driving multi passenger vehicles (15 passenger vans and/or mini busses).
- Current WFR & CPR
- Facilitation skills.
- Ability to work long hours in difficult and stressful conditions.
- Experience with NOLS/Outward Bound/WEA or comparable org. helpful.
- Experience working with diverse populations including a mix of GLBT students; students from low and middle income backgrounds; students from suburban, urban, and rural settings; and students from diverse racial and cultural backgrounds all of whom have not found success in traditional educational settings preferred. Student ages range from 15-19.
- Familiar with Southwest desert and/or Rocky Mountain terrain preferred but not required.
Eagle Rock School does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or disability. ERS proactively seeks a diverse workplace and therefore members of ethnic minorities and other protected classes are encouraged to apply.Salary/Benefits:
Salary depends on experience. Workers Comp insurance while on contract. Room and board during orientation week, and course wrap-up week. Potential for work on future Eagle Rock courses.
Email your resume, cover letter, list of references (at least 1 from a supervisor) to Eliza Wicks-Arshack at email@example.com