Organization/Program Description: www.christodora.org
The Manice Education Center (MEC) is located in the heart of the Berkshire Mountains in Western Massachusetts. MEC operates experientially focused and high-quality environmental education, wilderness camping, and leadership programs from May through October, in a unique outdoor setting with a staff to student ratio averaging 1:6.
MEC Summer Session: May 29th through August 26, 2018
· Position starts approx. 2 wks. before summer staff arrive to prepare inventory/order supplies, prepare for trainings, and organize mentorship program for student employees.
The Logistics Coordinator (LC) will be responsible for effectively coordinating all aspects of our Wilderness Equipment Facility and student staff for each of our summer sessions offered to junior and senior high school students from New York City. The wilderness expeditions are sequentially tailored by age, maturity, and ability.
· The LC will report to the Wilderness Program Supervisor. The LC will train, teach, mentor, and directly supervise the schedules and daily tasks of up to five Wilderness Trip Assistants. Wilderness Trip Assistants are high school aged program alumni who will assist in the coordination of all pre-trip preparations, post trip logistics, and attend the wilderness trips along with the Outdoor Educators and Outdoor Educator Assistants.
· Implementation of a mentorship program for student employees that supports the transition from program participant to performing as an employee. Provide opportunities for professional development of student employees. This mentorship program will be developed in close collaboration with the MEC Director.
· Submit inventory reports, prepare equipment orders for authorization, and rotate, repair & manage equipment for backpacking and canoeing trips ranging from 1 to 7 nights.
· Directly oversee logistics preparations for all wilderness trips, sign off on final departures checklists for equipment, and manage equipment de-issue when trips return to the Center.
· Assist in transportation to and from wilderness trips and camper transportation to and from New York City.
· Assist in development and delivery of training programs to provide competency acknowledgement for necessary hard and soft skills educators will utilize in the field.
· Provide consistent program support through: on-call availability and response during trips, supervisory responsibilities of the Center’s daily programming, serving as an interim outdoor educator as needed, assist in coordinating Center wide activities and field trips.
· Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
· Prior experience in backpacking and/or canoeing in the wilderness with youth. Outdoor leadership and/or wilderness navigation certifications a plus.
· Experience coordinating all aspects of overnight wilderness trip logistics.
· Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Waterfront Lifeguard Certification. Wilderness First Responder Certification Preferred. WFA, CPR, and Lifeguard Certification courses are available in June at MEC.
· Valid Driving License, clean driving records, and ability to pass high occupancy vehicle training provided at MEC.
· Ability to work non-traditional hours and commit the summer to successfully coordinating all aspects of MEC’s wilderness equipment facility and related functions.
· Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
· Competitive seasonally contracted salary, lodging (cabin tents), basic amenities, excellent food service, and outdoor equipment discounts.
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ email@example.com; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.