Christodora: Nature, Learning, Leadership since 1897 is seeking a seasoned outdoor leader to work as a Wilderness Program Supervisor to work at its Manice Education Center located in the heart of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. This is an exciting opportunity to enable 20 backpacking and canoeing expeditions in Southern New England for Summer 2018 and gain valuable experience as a member of management for a successful outdoor expedition program. Enjoy living and working in a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers to experience a pristine wilderness playground, alongside music, arts, and festivities in nearby college towns.
operates seasonal programs for junior and senior high school youth from New York City in environmental education, wilderness expeditions, and leadership training from May through October. The Center is located on a 200 acre forested campus, surrounded by thousands of acres in abutting Savoy Mountain State Forest, boasting mountain streams, rivers, ponds and diverse wildlife including moose!
Join our Diverse Team: May 29th through August 26, 2018
· Position starts 2 wks. before summer staff arrive to prepare for training programs and successful delivery of the summer wilderness excursions.
- Be a strong mentor for high school aged alumni, empowering youth to develop transferable job readiness skills.
- Provide technical expertise for wilderness gear, submit inventory reports, prepare equipment orders for authorization, and rotate, repair & manage equipment for backpacking and canoeing trips ranging from 1 to 7 nights.
- Directly oversee logistics preparations for all wilderness trips, sign off on final departure checklists for equipment, and manage equipment de-issue when trips return to the Center.
- Transport students to and from wilderness trips and occasionally assist with participants traveling to and from New York City.
- Assist in the review and continued improvement of the existing training program to effectively prepare a range of first-year to seasoned outdoor leaders.
- Provide ongoing support for wilderness trips and Center activities by being on-call for emergencies and trip support, being in charge of camp in the absence of the Director/Assistant Director, and help to manage the Center infirmary, and assisting as an outdoor educator if necessary.
- Coordinate Center-wide camp session celebration events and with off-site day trips.
· Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
· Experience as an outdoor leader for backpacking and canoeing expeditions in a wilderness context with youth.
· Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Waterfront Lifeguard Certification or ability to obtain.
(Wilderness First Aid, CPR, and Waterfront Lifeguarding courses are provided at the Center in June)
· HS Diploma/GED and Valid Drivers License
· Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
· Technical expertise for wilderness equipment.
· Wilderness First Responder Certification
· Competitive weekly salary; lodging & basic amenities; excellent food service.
· Access to wilderness equipment, and outdoor equipment discounts.
· Enjoy living in a unique outdoor setting, and be a part of a 121-year-old tradition of developing a constructive, supportive community through hard work, play, and dedication to our mission.
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.