Voyageur Outward Bound School is a charter of Outward Bound USA. Our school then called the Minnesota Outward Bound School, was founded in 1963 and initiated programs in 1964. In 1965, we offered the first girls Outward Bound course in the Western Hemisphere. We have consistently offered Veteran expeditions, courses for youth and young adults as well as adults and families. Currently, we have operations at our basecamp called Homeplace, outside of Ely, MN and a Center in St. Paul, MN.
At VOBS we provide experiences that challenge an individual’s own perception of what is possible through single and multi-day expeditions. Our mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The Logistics and Program Support Manager is responsible for managing all logistical functions and technical program site management and coordination at VOBS Twin Cities Center.
Directly supports programs’ logistical needs including, maintaining vehicle fleet, equipment inventory, and course equipment and food issue and de-issue. Manages all food, transportation, logistics systems, supervising logistics support staff, organizing logistics work spaces, and managing seasonal logistics budget. Responsible for driver training and ensuring implementation of transportation policies and procedures.
Provides oversight and management of technical rock sites used by Twin Cities programs, works with other VOBS sites to ensure consistency in training and progression of staff to site management of these technical sites. This includes educational quality and safety oversight of these sites. Schedules all support staff needed for all aspects of programming, including technical sites, drivers, logistics staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for all logistics systems and ensuring the integrity of our equipment for all courses. This includes creating a gear rotation and purchasing program
· Directly supports staff with the issuing, de-issuing, and maintenance of the course equipment, gear warehouse, course starts, and other logistical needs
· Trains, supervises and schedules logistics support staff and intern’s logistics experience
· Manages logistics budget items to include transportation, equipment, supplies, food and kitchen equipment
· Coordinates with Course Directors on scheduling and course needs
· Site manages rock climbing sites, integrating nationally accepted practices to maintain the safety of these experiences, provides technical training to instructional staff
· Implements progression for staff training leading to site management for all Rock Climbing sites the TCC uses, other technical activities possibilities as well
· Responsible for regular vehicle maintenance and record keeping
· Manages program transportation logistics, training of drivers and driving students
· Support VOBS & TCC senior leadership in supporting emergency response and being on call
Experience and Qualifications
· Bachelors or Associates Degree preferred, minimum age 21, 3-5 years’ experience in an experiential education or youth development setting.
· Understanding of vehicles, transportation training and safe driving practices to
include vans, trucks, trailers.
· Knowledge of basic equipment repair and maintenance
· Understanding of food systems implementation and health code as related to packing out food for courses
· Ability to train and supervise staff, 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred
· Current Certifications: Equivalent AMGA SPI certification preferred (in process acceptable), Wilderness First Responder; Water Safety Certification preferred
· Clean driving record, defensive driving courses a plus
· Know own strengths, limitations and needs, and productively manage personal stress and manage energy
· Effective educator, and manager
· Sufficiently physically fit to participate in vigorous physical activity including but not limited to running, swimming, backpacking, climbing, and canoeing, ability to lift and move 40-60 pounds
· Able to work a flexible schedule including many weekend days and long days
· Able to drive a vehicle with several types of cargo trailers and canoe trailers
· Participate in all trainings including field and expedition training
· Able to relate well to colleagues and work on a team effectively
· 9 Month Position with Salary commensurate with experience, vacation, health & life insurance
· Accident Insurance available through VOBS
· Eligible for pro-deal with various outdoor equipment companies
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter, resume, technical skills log, and 3 references online: www.vobs.org/jobs
Contact Dan Stark (email@example.com)
with questions about this position