Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of south Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery. The Everglades City Kitchen Manager, supports an island community that runs wilderness courses from November through March in the north end of Everglades National Park.
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for the overall management of the basecamp kitchen operations. Including but not limited to, preparation and serving of meals to staff and students, food orders and inventory, cleanliness and hygiene of kitchen, budget tracking, and supervision of kitchen helpers.
The North Carolina Outward Bound School is dedicated to the goal of
building a vibrant, culturally diverse community of staff who are committed to
teaching and working in a multicultural environment. In this effort, we
strongly encourage people of color and veterans to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation and serving of meals for community of 5-12 staff, typically 5 days a week. During peak periods this may fluctuate up to 40-50 staff.
- Provide additional catering needs for Outward Bound Professional courses, as well as other specialty programs as needed.
- Preparation and serving of meals during trainings, including All Staff and Base Camp Split.
- Maintaining a stocked fridge with available food for staff 7 days a week to accommodate when meals are not prepared.
- Preparation and serving of student banquet meals for 60-110 people, typically up to 10 times per season thru June-August. In addition smaller student banquet meals cooked throughout the season
- Pre, post and monthly inventory and ordering of all kitchen food and equipment along with certain basecamp supplies.
- Manage and track kitchen expenses, and remain within budgeted expectations.
- Maintenance and upkeep of all kitchen equipment.
- Establish and maintain relationships with food vendors, suppliers, price shopping as applicable.
- Establish and maintain positive working/living environment within kitchen and community.
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen in line with State Health Department standards.
- Maintain documentation of role to enable successors to step into position easily.
- Oversight of basecamp garden (if applicable).
- Any additional tasks as designated.
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS mission, values and principles.
- Strong knowledge of Outward Bound history, standards and programs.
- Certification in ServSafe – Food Handler minimum.
- Preferred background and/or experience in foodservice preparation, ordering, budgeting and kitchen upkeep
- Experience with community living
- Able to participate in all base activities. Able to lift 75 pounds.
- Able to serve cost efficient nutritious food for a variety of dietary needs
- Effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong personal initiative, motivation and resourcefulness.
- Competent computer skills.
- Cooperative attitude and ability to be flexible.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Per-diem rate based on NCOBS pay matrix for position. Starting per day rate is $73.00 with option to recognize prior work.
- Robust seasonal benefits available.
- Room and board during agreement.
- Upload a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
- Appliations are due by November 30th, 2017.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.