Voyageur Outward Bound School (VOBS) is a charter of Outward Bound USA, the leading provider of experiential and outdoor education for youth and adults. VOBS reaches over 2,000 students annually and has been serving its mission-changing lives through challenge and discovery-for over 50 years. At VOBS we provide experiences that challenge an individual’s own perceptions of what is possible, offering everything from multi-week expeditions to single day programs.
We have consistently offered Veteran expeditions, courses for youth and young adults, as well as adults and families. Currently we operate programs at our basecamp in Ely, MN (Homeplace), Twin Cities Center in St. Paul, MN, and near Big Bend National Park in Texas. At VOBS we put a high priority on developing our staff and running a strong organization and we’re proud to have recently been named one of the 100 best places to work by Outside magazine.
Interns make up the backbone of the Twin Cities Center while simultaneously training to become expedition and Insight (single-day program) instructors. Interns perform a multitude of instructional and support duties to gain a comprehensive appreciation for the instructor position and program management. Approximately 40% of the intern’s time will be interacting with students, honing educational skills and gaining professional development and approximately 60% will be spent supporting the preparation, delivery, and logistics of courses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in VOBS/Twin Cities orientation and expedition field training
- Participate as an instructional team shadow on at least one expedition course (4+days) and at least one section of an Insight course (1+ day)
- Complete all internship & new staff training modules
- Program Support: Student Experience
- Assists Instructor team and Course Director (CD) to design and implement experiential outdoor education programs that help students realize Outward Bound’s educational goals of developing character, leadership skills, and service ethic.
- Assists CD and Instructors on various single-day programs and expeditions including canoeing, backpacking, teambuilding, rock climbing, and high ropes course sites
- Program Support: Logistics
- Collaborates with CD and Instructional team to support course needs, including expedition planning, course starts and graduations, student transportation, and expedition resupplies
- Assists Logistics Coordinator with equipment maintenance and repairs, laundry, cleaning, inventory, daily organization, regular vehicle fleet maintenance
- Assists with medical/behavioral field evacuations and emergencies as determined by supervisors
- Operates passenger vehicles and canoe and equipment trailers
Other duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications
- Understanding of experiential and outdoor education principles and desire to meet the needs of a diverse student population varying in ethnicity, race, socio-economic class, gender, learning ability, and age
- Teaching or facilitation experience, especially in experiential and outdoor education settings; teambuilding, canoeing, top-rope rock climbing, and high/low ropes course facilitation experience preferred
- Required Certifications: Wilderness First Aid and CPR (Wilderness First Responder Preferred), Valid Driver’s License
- Safety management: assess students’ ability and backcountry hazards to ensure all activities and travel options are safe and appropriate
- Maintains sound judgment in adverse situations and field emergencies
- Bachelors or Associates Degree preferred
- Clean driving record
- Minimum 21 years old
- Ability to participate in vigorous physical activity including but not limited to running, swimming, backpacking, and canoeing.
- Ability to lift and move 40-60 pounds.
- Can work a varied and flexible schedule including many weekends
Compensation & Benefits
- Stipend of $200/week
- 8-week Internship with additional instructional days determined by Staffing Director depending on Intern experience and program needs.
- Field expedition training plus additional field skills development throughout internship
- Accident Insurance available
- Eligible for Pro-deal with outdoor equipment companies & loaner equipment at VOBS
- Spring and summer internships available, starting in early April or Late May
- Summer hiring generally concludes by February; positions will remain open until filled, rolling interviews start Nov. 1st