Reports to: Clinical Director
Elements Traverse is a therapeutic outdoor adventure program for young adults located in central Utah. We provide young adults with the most engaging and effective treatment program in the outdoors. The Individual & Group Therapist provides clinical leadership for an assigned team of field mentors and works closely with program staff and the field department to provide individualized treatment for young adult clients in a wilderness setting. The Individual & Group Therapist is responsible for managing a caseload of 8-10 clients, depending on the time of the year. Our clients struggle with launching into adulthood while dealing with anxiety, depression, substance use/abuse, past trauma, and adoption issues.
Elements Traverse’s company culture closely reflects our core values of empowerment, passion, connection and character. We believe that once we take ownership of our lives and tap into our personal power, we can identify and pursue our passions with courage and resilience. We believe that we are strongest when connected to a positive community. We believe that our integrity as a company and as a program is a reflection of who we are as individuals. We are committed to growth both individually and collectively.
Individual & Group Therapist Responsibilities:
Individual, Group & Family Therapy
The Individual & Group Therapist is responsible for conducting at least one individual therapy session per client per week. Additionally, the therapist will conduct at least two group therapy sessions per week. The therapist will support clients in progressing through a curriculum utilizing Dialectical Behavioral Therapy skills and Motivational Interviewing. The Individual & Group Therapist will occasionally provide family therapy sessions when family members visit the field. The Individual & Group Therapist is responsible for maintaining up-to-date documentation including treatment plans, notes, and discharge summaries.
The Individual & Group Therapist will be the primary liaison between the program and the client’s family and referral source. The Individual & Group Therapist will update families and referral sources at least once each week on the client’s progress at Elements Traverse. They will also coordinate mail and phone calls between clients and their families.
The Individual & Group Therapist will be responsible for working with clients and families on discharge dates and plans. This includes coordinating communication between clients and aftercare options. The therapist is responsible to complete a discharge summary on each client. The Individual & Group Therapist will also be responsible for providing collateral information for potential aftercare programs regarding the clients.
The Individual & Group Therapist will seek out continual training for their own professional development. They will also attend national and regional conferences relevant to Elements Traverse’s work. Additionally, the therapist will provide field staff with informal on-going training in the field on Dialectical Behavioral Therapy skills, Motivational Interviewing, Healthy Detachment, and many other relevant topics. Periodically, the Individual & Group Therapist will conduct formal company-wide trainings on a relevant therapeutic topic.
The Individual & Group Therapist is responsible for developing positive and productive relationships with referral sources, both those who the therapist has previously worked with as well as those who the therapist hopes to work with in the future. Marketing includes travel to meet with referral sources, phone calls, attending networking events and conferences, and other self-initiated events.
The Individual & Group Therapist will have on-call availability for field support at all times. Additionally, the therapist will occasionally cover on-call responsibilities for another therapist. This is reciprocated over the year.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Passion for outdoor behavioral healthcare and Elements Traverse’s mission
• Excellent interpersonal, oral/written communication, and public speaking skills
• Experience working with young people (ages 14-29) and their families in a clinical setting
• Ability to work independently
• Comfortable working and traveling in a wilderness setting
• Ability to commit to 3+ years in the position
• Master’s degree in behavioral health services field or PhD level clinical degree
• Licensed or license-eligible in Utah
• Demonstrated ability to provide professional therapeutic services for young adults and their families with chemical dependency, psychosocial, emotional, or behavioral problems
• Background treating substance abuse and co-occurring disorders, preferred
• Four wheel drive vehicle for travel to the field
• Salary negotiable based on experience
• Phone & Vehicle stipend
• Vacation & Sick pay
• Medical & Dental Insurance
• Access to pro deals
• Work in a gorgeous field area
• Questions about the position and/or Elements Traverse, please call Andrew Powell at 801-361-7782 or John Karren at 801-505-8481
• Send resume and cover letter to Janine Donald at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Include in your cover letter what specifically you would contribute to Elements Traverse and why you want to join our team
• Typical work week will include two days a week in the field area
• Field Office is located in Huntington, Utah
• Position open until filled