This position will oversee risk management and logistical coordination of all field operations related to the Yavapai-Apache Nation’s preventive outdoor education program, as administered through the U.S. Department of Education. This position is funded through a four-year grant.
· BA / BS or equivalent in related field;
· Minimum of 5 years outdoor field experience, including some time in a supervisory role;
· Current CPR and WFR certification;
· Working knowledge of implementing trauma-informed programming; and
· Strongly preferred: two+ years program / administrative experience.
· Must have valid Arizona Driver’s License and be insurable with the Nation’s auto insurance policy and sustain insurability throughout the duration of employment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Work directly with Program Manager to plan and lead outdoor trips ranging from half day to multi-day trips, up to three weeks.
· Work closely with the Program Manager and Community Coordinator to seek out opportunities to incorporate cultural programming and implement it.
· Implement and facilitate in school curriculum (1 hour a week) and after school curriculum (1- 3 hours per month).
· Teach a variety of intensive, LNT camping skills and oversee details of all outdoor programs including but not limited to: planning menus, itineraries, and lesson plans; budgeting for expenditures; reviewing risk and creating emergency plans; documenting trips through logs and photos; prep / clean-up of gear.
· Oversee risk management of all field operations.
· Assist in selecting field instructors and volunteers.
· Schedule, evaluate, support and supervise all field instructors and volunteers.
· Develop and implement program philosophies, role model healthy communication and provide a steady, service-driven leadership presence.
· Assist in purchase and storage of gear.
· Provide both on-call and emergency response support and leadership.
· Some travel is required for industry conferences / symposiums as well as ongoing personal and professional development.
· Maintaining statistics and keeping records of all outdoor activities for grant compliance.