Green River Preserve is hiring experienced youth leaders and environmental educators for our summer season. Located on a 3,400-acre wildlife preserve in Western North Carolina, GRP is a coed summer camp connecting children to nature. We are hiring both summer camp naturalists -- "Mentors" -- and high school adventure leaders -- "Expedition Leaders" -- from May 28 through August 9, 2019.
Mentors are professional teachers and naturalists from a wide range of fields, either by interest or by training, who lead up to 12 campers on field study hikes each morning throughout the Preserve. Mentors live in staff-only housing, but spend each day playing in waterfalls, exploring caves, munching wild edibles, and teaching children the art of discovery.
Beyond the role as a naturalist, Mentors form an elite group of environmental educators that advances each member's knowledge about the natural world, youth development, and career possibilities. Depending on interests and skills, most Mentors will spend each afternoon teaching classic camp activities, from archery and primitive skills to music and theatre. Mentors also adopt a camper cabin each session, and they serve as a valuable adviser and support system for campers and counselors alike.
Expedition Leaders work as a team of three to lead 12 high school campers on adventures in either the Blue Ridge Mountains or the NC Outer Banks, using the same philosophy of respect, discovery and environmental awareness we teach at our summer camp. For more information, please visit our website at www.greenriverpreserve.org.
- Applicants must be 24 years of age or older.
- Wilderness First Aid certified or willing to become certified.
- Must have passion, expertise, and experience in teaching children in an outdoor environment.
- A background in natural resources or environmental science/education is preferred, but not necessary.
- Mentors must commit to our full season, which runs from May 28 to August 9, 2019. Please only apply if you can make that commitment.
- Expedition Leaders also begin on May 28, but their end date can be more flexible.