Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Full Time Exempt
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Supervision: Finance Manager, Finance Associate, Director of Human Resources & IT Manager
Last Updated: 7/24/17
North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is one of the oldest independent Outward Bound Schools in the country. Since 1967, NCOBS has delivered challenging wilderness courses that teach more than outdoor skills. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of south Florida to the peaks of South America, help our students learn the value of teamwork, discover leadership abilities, find inspiration and feel a sense of accomplishment. Our mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The NCOBS Chief Financial Officer (CFO) provides hands on management of the financial activities of the organization to ensure successful operations and continued growth. This position follows direction and goals set out in the school’s operational and strategic plan with a focus on a long-term forecasting/planning model. They oversee a complex mix of revenue streams, including fee-for service, government grants, individual contributions and foundation grants. In addition to oversight of the income statement and balance sheet, the position is responsible for managing the annual budget process, providing monthly reports, costing of services and the managing the organization’s financial operations (A/P, A/R, liability insurance, re-insurance plan etc.). Key for this position is the oversight, analysis and strategic development of the school’s financial data to maximize effectiveness and success and predict and drive our long-term financial plan.
The CFO is managed by the executive director (ED) and is a member of the NCOBS Management Team. They work closely with all departments and the NCOBS Board of Directors’ Finance Committee. They manage the finance manager, finance associate, director of human resources, and IT manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning, Reporting and Analysis:
· Manages all planning, organizing and executing the school’s day to day financial operations, including accounts payable and accounts receivable.
· Develops, manages and drives the annual budget process, in conjunction with a rolling 5-year business model. Engages the ED and other appropriate staff in this process.
· Evaluates and correlates operational and financial data and informs the ED, management team and finance committee of financial impact of decisions in real time and for future forecasting.
· Develops and/or makes recommendations for financial strategies, policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems to best track and forecast the financial state and opportunities of the school.
· Develops and enhances service costing models, and performs financial and operating analysis as needed.
· Develops and/or enhances management policies, procedures, and systems to ensure that critical organizational information is retained and shared across the organization. Works closely with all departments to train, integrate and update systems, policies and procedures.
· Develops strategies and provides oversight to ensure that present and future information technology needs of the school are met.
· In conjunction with the NCOBS Finance Committee Chairperson, leads and organizes the finance committee, and presents at committee meetings, keeping the ED informed of recommendations and actions taken.
· Manages all relationships and contacts with school vendors and lenders: creates and communicates a preferred vendor’s list to staff.
· Leads the finance committee and base managers to ensure facility maintenance plan is properly executed.
· Ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions.
· Manages and ensures all tax filings.
· Manages annual financial audit process.
· Manages school wide insurance (GL, Auto, Property, WC, etc…).
· Supervises, directs and evaluates all department staff.
· Actively participates and serves as a member of the management team.
· Works closely with outside service providers, such as the audit firm, investment advisor, Outward Bound Services Group and OB Insurance Group.
· Manages the business insurance and banking relationships for the school.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the executive director and the board finance committee.
· Travels up to 5% of work time. Travel includes trips to base camps, regional events, board of director meetings and other sites as needed.
· Works at the administrative office (NCOBS Town Office) within office hours of 8:30am to 5:00pm. At times possible irregular work schedule.
· Degree in accounting, business or related field. MBA or CPA certification preferred.
· 5 years or more experience in finance, including financial modeling and strategic planning.
· 5 years or more experience in the supervision of staff.
· Experience in process improvement including data systems.
· Highly effective communicator, both written and orally.
· Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
· Knowledge and experience with fully utilizing Financial Edge or similar accounting programs and databases.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
· Preferred knowledge about NCOBS & Outward Bound programs, history and philosophy.
· Be able to clear all background and motor vehicle screening.
Compensation and Benefits:
· Salary is a competitive for non-profit organizations and based on experience.
· Eligible for full time benefits.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted through August 15, 2017. Qualified applicants should upload cover letter, resume and references to http://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=OUTWARDBOUND&cws=38&rid=547.
Please note that we are a small office and will prioritize communications regarding this position to those that meet our screening criteria. We do however appreciate your efforts in applying.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.