POSITION: Challenge Course Site Manager
Challenge Course and Safety Manager
March 26, 2018 – November 8, 2018
Full Time, 7.5 Months, Seasonal Exemption
Thompson Island, Boston Harbor
The Challenge Course Site Manager is responsible for the safety and operation of challenge course elements while in use by instructional staff and student groups. Operation of challenge course elements include but is not limited too; setup and takedown of ropes, hardware and access prevention devices, pre and post inspection of the challenge course element, and instruction and demonstration of proper use of the challenge course element to instructional staff (Belay Monitors). Site Managers are Single Point Accountable (SPA) for the safety of all persons participating in a high challenge course element. Safety includes the physical and emotional health of all clients, participants, and staff in the immediate vicinity of the challenge course element.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Extensive knowledge and practice of Charter Operating Policies and Procedures (COPP) for both the high and low challenge course.
- Proper setup and takedown a challenge course element(s).
- Assess the structural integrity of the element, ropes, harnesses, helmets, and hardware before and after every use of the challenge course element.
- Report any incidents, accidents, acts of weather or vandalism damage, or missing equipment to the Challenge Course Director immediately.
- Oversee all climbing activities including belaying, climbing, and spotting on the challenge course element to ensure participant safety
- Tactfully manage the actions of all Belay Monitors on the challenge course element to ensure compliance with Thompson Island Outward Bound Charter Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Use of good judgment pertaining to proactive risk management practices
- A minimum of 24 days working with high challenge course elements, which may include; instructing, supervising, supporting, personal high element climbing, & personal rock climbing.
- Successful completion of TIOBEC Site Manager Training.
- Maintain an ACCT challenge course portfolio of documented challenge course hours.
- Comfortable climbing and moving at height of 60 feet or more.
- Physically able to rescue another person.
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification.
· Must be at least 21 years of age. Positions reporting hours to the island, are asked to assist loading/unloading cargo from the boat as able. This involves lifting and walking with parcels upwards of 50lbs on and off moving docks and up/down ramps. Must be able to be on feet and/or active an average of 8+ hours per day.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive daily rate commensurate with experience. Earned Sick Time. Worker’s Compensation Insurance. Optional Accident Insurance. Access to professional discount programs for gear and clothing. Temporary housing provided on Thompson Island for positions that necessitate.
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks staff as diverse as the communities it serves. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org