Camp Harbor View
Position Description (Non-exempt)
Title/Position: Challenge Course Director
Reports to: Executive Director, Director of Operations, Leadership Director
Locations: Camp Harbor View, Long Island, MA
Seasonal, Full-Time: June 19-August 25, 2017
We are currently recruiting for the position of Challenge Course Director to work at Camp Harbor View located on Long Island, MA. Long Island is situated in Quincy Bay, in the middle of Boston Harbor. The island forms part of the City of Boston, and of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area. The day camp will serve campers aged 11 – 14 years.
- Develops and implements a challenge course program that is based on sound educational principals, offers a progression of skills, and is based on the interests and abilities of campers.
- Develops and monitors safety procedures for both high and low elements of the challenge course program according to CHV, ACCT and ACA standards including the training of relevant staff and campers.
- Monitors facilities and equipment under his/her care for needed repairs and replacement.
- Prepares opening and closing inventories of rope course equipment and supplies, as necessary.
- Attend daily and weekly meetings, as requested by Executive Director, Director of Operations, and Leadership Director.
- Other related duties as specified by the Executive Director, Director of Operations, and Leadership Director.
- Documented knowledge of or certification in the safety procedures of a challenge course program.
- Documented experience in planning and delivering a high/low ropes challenge course program.
- Must be able to demonstrate these skills as a condition of hire.
- Able to engage youth of diverse backgrounds in challenging and exciting programming.
- Previous experience in a camp setting desired.
- Ability to set up, adjust and monitor physical equipment in specialty area.
- Knowledge of use and care of challenge course equipment.
- Documented experience working with children/youth.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work on Long Island, MA and flexibility to work extended hours as required.
- Ability to lift and move weight up to 75 lbs.