University of Puget Sound
Backpacking Instructor - Physical Education
Job ID: 3852
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Appointment: Instructor for the AdvancedBackpacking course in the Physical Education, Athletics, Recreation Department. SpringSemester 2018. Course isPE 132and theschedule is Wednesdays from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Spring Semester runs January 17 - May 11, 2018
This position combines evening classroom time and leading overnight adventures in the Pacific Northwest for up to 11 students. The primary emphasis of this course is on cold weather, off trail travel in the alpine environment. The course curriculum generally covers avalanche safety, snow analysis, snow travel , winter camping, navigation, wilderness ethics, and leadership in the outdoors. The primary emphasis of the course is to prepare students to lead trips on their own and to promote a lifetime enjoyment of the natural environment.
- At least 5 years of experience leading overnight groups in the backcountry
- Prior experience leading groups in winter avalanche terrain
- Strong background in outdoor leadership skills
- Experience teaching and ability to present outdoor related curriculum in the classroom setting
- AIARE 1 or equivalent experience/training required,AIARE 2 preferred
- Valid drivers license and clean driving record
- Experience driving 15 passenger vans or large vehicles
- Experience backpacking and mountaineering in the PNW preferred but not required.
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPRcertifications
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with education, experience, and teaching load.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit:http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices--services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
About Puget Sound: The University of Puget Sound is located in Tacoma, Washington, a vibrant, diverse mid-sized urban port city. Within, and near, Tacoma there is ready access to urban, rural, and natural areas as well as opportunities to participate in a wide variety of cultural activities.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified.
Applications submitted without the documents listed below will not be considered:
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of Interest
Note: In the online application system, please submit curriculum vitae when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry.
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/employment
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency