North Ca rolina Outwa rd B ound School (NC O BS), established in 1967, is part of a national network of Outward Bound Schools. Outward Bound Professional (OBP) is the division of NCOBS that designs, delivers and sells custom programs for adult organizations including businesses and non-profits. The OBP curriculum emphasizes individual transformation through challenge and integrates best practices learned from top-performing organizations and organizational development leaders. This role will contribute to the overall development of OBP by managing design and delivery of all OBP programs; OBP staff development and training; as well as marketing and sales efforts. The position will ensure delivery of safe, high quality programming and customer service geared to building strong and lasting client relationships. There will also be a focus on business development, marketing and sales.
Anticipated Start Date: January 8, 2018
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- With Director of OBP, ensure all NCOBS Outward Bound Professional programs are conducted safely and with high quality.
- Serve as liaison with client following the sale including program design, conducting orientations and organizational assessments as needed and managing paper flow.
- Design programs that are tailored to client’s needs and are consistent with Outward Bound philosophy and methodology.
- Work with medical screening personnel to ensure appropriate participant medical and physical conditioning standards for OBP.
- Oversee development and implementation of new program designs.
- Work as a Program Manager and Facilitator as appropriate.
- Serve as liaison with NCOBS base camp staff, other NCOBS departments and any third-party resources to deliver each program.
Staff Management & Development:
- Provide leadership, supervision, feedback and training to OBP Facilitators and Program Managers.
- Develop pool of OBP staff both quantitatively and qualitatively.
- Oversee resources, systems, standards and training for OBP Facilitators.
- Work with Staffing Managers and Director of OBP to staff OBP programs.
- Manage OBP staff payroll and database entry.
- Respond to new OBP inquiries and develop new OBP clients through targeted sales efforts.
- Make sales calls and presentations when appropriate.
- Work with Director of Marketing to expand OBP sales & marketing efforts.
- With Director, manage relationships with key allies and partners.
- Work closely with Director of OBP to determine OBP direction, goals, strategies, budget, trainings and standards.
- Manage entry of OBP data into Incident Reporting Database.
- Work on projects as determined by Director of OBP.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Primarily office based at Asheville Town Office
- Extended periods working and living at NCOBS base camps during OBP Wilderness Programs
- Frequent travel to deliver OBP Insight programming in NC, GA and other southeastern states.
- Some ir r egular hours and weekend work a re expected.
- Ability to sit in a seated position for prolonged periods of time.
- Occasional time working and living in the wilderness while on programs.
- Strong knowledge of Outward Bound programs and philosophy.
- Previous Outward Bound Professional experience, or equivalent.
- Background in experiential based training and development required, including in the wilderness context.
- Skills and experience to meet requirements of OBP Senior Facilitator and Program Manager.
- Experience developing staff and delivering staff training.
- Strong safety management experience and skills for outdoor programming.
- Detail oriented with solid organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to solve problems, prioritize and manage multiple tasks successfully within tight timelines and high stress environments.
- Strong and effective communicator, both written and oral. Can speak to a variety of audiences including adult participants, NCOBS staff and potential clients.
- Experience in sales.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to train others in this area.
- Strategic and creative thinker with skills in program design.
- Team-oriented, yet able to operate independently.
- Solid computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook).
- Able to lift 50 lbs and carry a backpack for extended periods of time in rough terrain.
- Bachelor degree required.
- WFR and CPR certification required.
- Valid driver license and successful completion of Outward Bound drivers training required.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a full time salaried position.
- Eligible for full time bene fit s.
- Visit: https://www.ncobs.org/connect/careers/administrative-positions/
- Click "Apply for this Position" at the bottom of the job description.
- Upload your cover letter and resume with three references included.
- Qualified candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
- Applications are due by December 22nd, 2017.
At the North Carolina Outward Bound School, we are dedicated to the goal of building a vibrant, culturally diverse community of staff who are committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. In this effort, we strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.