Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of south Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The Assistant Logistics Manager (ALM) position is a basecamp leadership role that supports the Logistics Manager (LM) and Program Director (PD). The ALM is responsible for assisting the LM in managing the daily logistical needs of the basecamp and crews in the field. This includes upkeep and organization of the warehouse, gear packing, ordering, and maintenance; ordering food and consumable items, upkeep and organization of the food hut, and food packing; and maintenance and upkeep of vehicles, conducting town runs, and organizing crew transportation. The long-term vision of the ALM role is to progress into the LM role. The job is seasonal-contracted and runs from April to August.
The North Carolina Outward Bound School is dedicated to the goal of building a vibrant, culturally diverse community of staff who are committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. In this effort, we strongly encourage people of color and veterans to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the LM in their absence and maintain a big picture vision of all logistics-related activities throughout the season
- Work with LM to ensure logistical needs for courses and basecamp are met
- Assist in the daily functions of the warehouse and food room
- Assist in training and supervising interns and logistics staff
- Maintain the upkeep of vehicles
- Monitor, maintain, and repair all gear
- Be a part of the logistics “on-call” rotation
- Assist the LM evaluations for interns and logistics staff
- Other duties as assigned by the LM and/or PD.
- Previous experience of at least one season as a logistics staff/intern preferred.
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS mission, values, and principles.
- Strong knowledge of Outward Bound history, standards, and programs.
- Must be able to drive a 15 passenger van with a box trailer
- Able to participate in all base activities. Able to lift 75 pounds.
- Current WFA and CPR at a minimum. WFR and CPR preferred.
- Able to give and receive timely, effective oral and written feedback.
- Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong personal initiative, motivation, and resourcefulness.
- Strong presentation, writing, and computer skills.
- Cooperative attitude and ability to be flexible.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Per-diem rate based on NCOBS pay matrix for the position. ($70 - $97.50 / day)
- Robust seasonal benefits available.
- Room and board during agreement .
- Upload a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
- Qualified candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
- The position will remain open until filled.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.