Reports To: Logistics Manager
FLSA Status: Seasonal/Exempt
Location: Cedar Rock Basecamp (near Brevard, NC) or Table Rock Base Camp (near Jonas Ridge, NC)
Supervision: Interns, Logistics Staff
Targeted Dates: April 1st - November 5th, 2019 [Cedar Rock]
March 15th - November 15th, 2019 [Table Rock]
ACA Position Category: Variable
Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of South Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The Assistant Logistics Manager (ALM) position is a basecamp leadership role that supports the Logistics Manager (LM) and Program Director (PD). The ALM is responsible for assisting the LM in managing the daily logistical needs of the basecamp and crews in the field. This includes warehouse upkeep and organization, gear packing, gear quality control, and maintenance, ordering food and consumable items, upkeep and organization of the food hut, food packing, vehicle upkeep, conducting town runs, and crew transportation. The long-term vision of the ALM role is to progress into the LM role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the LM in their absence and maintain a big picture vision of all logistics-related activities throughout the season
- Work with the LM to ensure logistical needs for courses and basecamp are met
- Assist in the daily functions of the warehouse and food room
- Assist in the training and supervision of logistics staff
- Assist the LM in providing evaluations for logistics staff
- Maintain the upkeep of vehicles
- Monitor, maintain, and repair all gear
- Be a part of the logistics “on-call” rotation
- Other duties as assigned by the LM and/or PD
- Ideal candidates will have worked at least one season as a logistics staff/intern with NCOBS.
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS mission, values, and principles
- Strong knowledge of Outward Bound history, standards, and programs
- Must be able to drive a 15-passenger van with a box trailer; Must undergo a Motor Vehicle Record background screening and possess a clean driving record
- Able to participate in all base activities, including an ability to lift 75 pounds
- Current WFA and CPR at minimum; WFR and CPR are preferred
- Able to give and receive timely, effective oral, and written feedback
- Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong personal initiative, motivation, and resourcefulness
- Strong presentation, writing, and computer skills
- Cooperative attitude and ability to be flexible
Compensation and Benefits:
- Per-diem rate based on NCOBS pay matrix ($70 - $94 / day); Previous experience awarded with commensurate pay.
- Robust seasonal benefits available
- Pro-purchase deals
- Room and board during length of agreement
At the North Carolina Outward Bound School, we are dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community of staff who are committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. In this effort, we strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
- Apply through our website at https://www.ncobs.org/connect/careers/
- Provide a cover letter and upload a resume with three references.
- Qualified candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
- Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
- The position will remain open until filled.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.