Work with a team of dynamic outdoor enthusiasts and educators to lead the largest student organization on campus in daily operations and organized outings, and supervise the club's student employees. The Outing Club is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming space at the Schwartz Outdoor Leadership Center and to make our programs accessible to all Bowdoin students.
Flexible schedule that varies widely throughout the academic year. Administrative responsibilities may be handled during day shift hours (8:30 - 5:00). Evening and weekend hours are required to teach and run meetings. Outings and trips may require extensive time (2-14 days) in the field over weekends during variable and sometimes extreme weather conditions.
• A proven ability to mentor and develop student leadership skills
• The physical ability to undertake outings/trips requiring specialized technical proficiency in the field for periods of up to 14 days, and to maintain and develop technical proficiency in several outdoor recreational disciplines
• Proven field leadership and teaching abilities with a clear understanding of field risk management and critical decision-making in the field
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Strong organizational and logistics management skills
• A Bachelor's degree
• Experience working with diverse student populations
• A demonstrated commitment to fostering personal and professional intercultural competence
• A Wilderness First Responder certification and experience in outdoor recreation/education field, including extensive field experience
• Demonstrated expertise in diverse outdoor pursuits, including whitewater paddling
• A valid driver's license is required along with the ability to meet the eligibility requirements for the College's current Motor Vehicle Policy